Okay, I had a noisy water pump, a rough idle and almost 30K on my timing belt. So I replaced all belts (except the power steering belt, for which I didn't have a proper wrench), put in a new mechanical tensioner, a new idler pulley, a new water pump and new ignition wires. At each step there seemed to be some problem or question -- which you guys on this forum were able to answer. The car is back together and running smoothly. (Although I may have abused the idle actuator a little too much by trying to get it to open in the wrong direction; a couple of times the idle has floated too high or fallen the other way, killing the engine. I'll wait to see if it sorts itself out.) Anyway, thanks for the great help!