Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bruce and others have pondered organizing a multi-day touring event. May I suggest that the California Melee would be a great template to start with. Low budget. Limited to sports and touring cars of a certain vintage. Not too many miles each day. Everyone fends for themselves.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,049 Posts
I didn't see any tour guidance posted at the link but that's generally the idea. Problem is, we live in Central Texas and nice things to see and nice/interesting places to stay overnight along nice routes can be a bit farther out than 200 miles. Personally I do not call Junction, Llano or Fredriksburg a "destination". Most "resort-like" destinations seem a bit further out unless you contrive one like the Bastrop Hyatt or one in San Antonio, which is possible. Hence my request for route and end-point input. It may just have to be above 300+ miles in a day to achieve this end. I also note that Merc driving on a gravel road. I don't think most vintage owners would like that on any route. As far as other marques, that's interesting, but they had some 50 cars and that's pretty untenable. We had 20 on most of the Conventino Pre-Tour (4 days) and that was problematic; we went in smaller "pods". But accommodating and feeding over 30-40 is very difficult at the same venue. Keep the input coming. Perhaps this might have been best posted in my Unconventional Tour thread as input? I've actually heard no one else propose this idea and few ratify it enthusiastically. I am in no immediate rush to do this and may run a practice run or two to verify ideas. Certainly if you want to plan one, have at!!!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps this might have been best posted in my Unconventional Tour thread as input? I've actually heard no one else propose this idea and few ratify it enthusiastically. I am in no immediate rush to do this and may run a practice run or two to verify ideas. Certainly if you want to plan one, have at!!!
Didn't mean to dis your original thread. I'll post additional thoughts there.

With the Rolling Sculpture show in October and the Lucas-Marelli tour in November, I'm not looking to plan any new events for a while...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts