Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a trick for testing my speedo and tach while they are out of the car? I tried installing an old cable and attaching it to a drill motor and tried putting a square tip bit directly into the back. I was afraid to spin the drill motor very fast but none of my guages did anything ( and I even have an extra set so two speedos and two tachs).

Am I doing something wrong? Should it go clockwise or counter clockwise?

Also, is it possible to get new chrome rings?

Thanks,

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
If you want to really pump that resto cost up to $50k, Palo Alto Speedometer will make them better than new. Did my 69 Spider gauges there, all 5.

·
Premium Member
21,707 Posts
I do what you're trying. Run gently both ways to see. I don't think you'll hurt it at slow rpm. I don't recall which way they turn, but seems like it would be the way the needles more (clockwise viewed from the front).

Andrew

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently replaced my tacho cable and before hooking up the engine-end, I tested it with a power drill. Unfortunately I tested it with the drill in "forward" first, which yielded no indication from the tacho. I then changed the drill to "reverse" and that produced a positive reading on the tacho. It's been in the car now for several months and seems to have suffered no ill effects.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts