11,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hummm? :DGordon Raymond

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gordon
Nice carpet under the engine. If you sell those things in the cabnet you might have the money to put the rest of the engine together. LOL Sorry, I just crack me up sometimes. To many hobbies to little time.
Philip

·
Super Moderator
11,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ausca spider engine

Phillip,
It's always like that! To make issues worse, I have 2 kids to send to college. I was trying for a digital photo, sized correctly for attachments, by the guess method.
The engine is a 1600 Ausca dyno test engine from the late '60's when Ron Neal was doing port modifications for Autodelta's new, at the time, small port heads. The head has tunnel ports with lots of bowl work and matched manifold. I've had the complete top end in my shop attic about 40 years. I ran into a mint unnumbered Veloce spider block with a matching crank about 2 years ago at a garage sale in Wisconsin, and felt it was time to put this all back together. As I have the Ausca dyno sheet that came wit it, I am restoring it as Ron built it years ago, with a few modern additions. The head will now have titanium valves with nickel bryillium seats, Carello rods, JE 79mm 10.5 / 1 pistons, moly treated, with the light pins and gapless ring. The crank is being treated with the latest Nascar clear hardening treatment while Web Cam restores the 10 mm race cams. The generator is a lightweight GTA Bosch, with the Bosch GTA starter and aluminum flywheel clutch and pressure plate. Oil pump is reworked, with shortened 2 L steel gears. Ignition is Ausca, reworked / Bosch that was on it years ago. I would like to get it back on a dyno this spring before we both get much older! A fun project that deserves to sit on nice carpet:cool:. Thanks for the comments! :DGordon Raymond

Attachments

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
*drool*

Gordon, what's this 'Nascar clear hardening process' which you mention? And which of your cars is this engine destined for?! :D

Alex.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Gordon
Sounds like a strong engine. Right now I am working on an engine install in a Milano. Set it in yesterday and will work on the bottom today. I've got get it together and sell it soon. I like the stacks on the cards. They are to long for my Alfetta race car.
Time to go get in the grease.
Philip

·
Super Moderator
11,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ausca spider engine (s)

*drool*

Gordon, what's this 'Nascar clear hardening process' which you mention? And which of your cars is this engine destined for?! :D

Alex.
Alex,
A friend that builds some very durable Nascar engines mentioned they use a process, I believe, developed in France. It has several names, but in the U.S. goes under "Diamond Like Hard Coatings" or "DLC". The version he uses is both very slippery and surface hard. Seems an ideal Alfa crank treatment. He also uses it on wrist pins of conn rods without bronze inserts.
I own an Ausca Giulia Spider, the only real one to have GTA running gear. (It is pictured it Patrick Hung's spider photo thread.) The engine I am recreating was built at Ausca the same time as my spider. I felt when it is time for a rebuild of the GTA engine, I do not want to hurry, and I also want to check into some new ideas. So, the Ausca single plug 1600 will live in the Ausca spider when I rebuild the GTA engine. :DGordon Raymond

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts