Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
You can put gearbox in D (from P, R or N) without using the gear lever, just pull the right puddle
Also you can put in N (even while moving) by pulling both puddles together. Then by pulling the right one the gearbox automatically inserts the most suitable gear.
Holding the left blade, for instance while hard braking, the car automatically scale the gears down, all in sequence, making each change as soon as it becomes technically possible

Sent from my Z957 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
You can put gearbox in D (from P, R or N) without using the gear lever, just pull the right puddle
Also you can put in N (even while moving) by pulling both puddles together. Then by pulling the right one the gearbox automatically inserts the most suitable gear.
Holding the left blade, for instance while hard braking, the car automatically scale the gears down, all in sequence, making each change as soon as it becomes technically possible

Thanks, this is great information. I was aware that manufacturers can modify ZF base software, Jaguar and Land Rover both make their own versions. I was not aware that this Giulia had gone so far beyond what has been achieved by other makers so far. Our salesman did not mention any of this.

Be aware that base and Lux models do not come with paddles. You must spec Sport for that, at least up here in Canada.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Well, sales are starting o improve, even if the reviews have been pretty brutal with regard to reliability.
Alfa Romeo Giulia Sales Jumped yet Again in July 2017
Up here in Canada our dealer says fca is anxious to push units out onto the road into private hands ASAP. Best advertizing they could buy. Now might be a golden oppprtunity to make the leap of faith and make a deal.

As for reliability issues I have not seen reports of actual mechanical failure. Almost all faults seem to be software glitches or switch and sensor problems. These can be lived with until a repair can be devised.

Then once a patch can be flashed into your cars computers all will be well. They certainly seem well made when looked at carefully in the showroom. Very, very stylish cars inside and out and they drive like a dream.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Coming back to ZF. Just take a look at gear ratios of Giulia gearbox. First 5 gears are very short, they allow to actively drive a car up to 150 km/h. 6, 7 and 8 gears are much longer. Unlike the BMW maximum speed is reached at 7th speed and 8th speed is overdrive. BMW 3 reaches maximum at 8th speed. So, Alfa implemented own philosophy not only in operative logic but and gear ratios as well.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
When I drove the Giulia with the automatic engine off and back on again system in operation/engaged, I found it irritating to have the car hesitate when I pushed on the gas pedal as the engine restarted. Yeah, I suppose one would get used to it, but why should I have to?

·
Registered
726 Posts
When I drove the Giulia with the automatic engine off and back on again system in operation/engaged, I found it irritating to have the car hesitate when I pushed on the gas pedal as the engine restarted. Yeah, I suppose one would get used to it, but why should I have to?
It is a way how almost all modern Europeans cars built, European design culture.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Emissions reduction especially in city cores. It's worth it. You do get to like the feature once you become accustomed to it. Really. It's not a case of learning to just put up with it the stop start is actually pleasant to use in heavy traffic.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
"You do get to like the feature once you become accustomed to it. Really"

Sure, everyone likes their car to hesitate when starting out.

"the stop start is actually pleasant to use in heavy traffic"

Pleasant? What? Since when? Tell me, does the a/c quit when the engine shuts off in hot weather stop and go traffic? I guess one would have to push the shut off button to get around that.

Beginning to wonder, Michael, lol...

·
Registered
726 Posts
"You do get to like the feature once you become accustomed to it. Really"

Sure, everyone likes their car to hesitate when starting out.

"the stop start is actually pleasant to use in heavy traffic"

Pleasant? What? Since when? Tell me, does the a/c quit when the engine shuts off in hot weather stop and go traffic? I guess one would have to push the shut off button to get around that.

Beginning to wonder, Michael, lol...
When a/c or heater or wipers turned on the engine does work.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Below is explained the Bosch Start&Stop logic. This is pretty old description, for 2008 MiTo. Bit I think it works the same in Giulia

Start&Stop does not work if
- Engine temperature is cold
- Cold ambient temperature
- During battery charging
- Defrost is turned on
- Wipers at maximum speed
- Cleaning of DPF (for diesels)
- Driver's door is open
- Driver is not fastened
- Rear gear is turned on
- MAX-DEF is turned on
- When service equipment connected

The engine will turned on automatically if
- Battery requires charging
- Wipers turned on max speed
- Not enough vacuum in servo brake system
- The car moves (downhill)
- The engine does not work more than 3 minutes
- MAX-DEF turned on

The system does not work if
- The gearbox is in R
- The car stops uphill and Hill Holder activated

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
So, it looks like it is not on much of the time, so why bother. it was irritating to me when it did work, and I'm not one for "jackrabbit" starts from the light or stop sign.

Oh, well, I'm not buying one anyway.

Reactions: Max Pershyn

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
So, it looks like it is not on much of the time, so why bother. it was irritating to me when it did work, and I'm not one for "jackrabbit" starts from the light or stop sign.

Oh, well, I'm not buying one anyway.
Believe me, if you buy a Giulia you will love it including the stop start feature.

I was introduced to this system years ago in a rental from London. As for Turbodiesels you get used to these Euro technologies quite quickly and experience them as Europeans do, positives rather than negatives.

The stop start operates about 90% of the time except in winter when it is disabled.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Heh, heh, heh. You betcha, Red Rider, lol.

Seriously, any car I HAVE to try to adapt to and learn to run like a computer game isn't for me. The first drives in an Alfa model always sold me on the car, and I bought it or one like it. Certainly the 64 Sprint GT did, the 91S did, and the 94LS, esp as it is configured now.

The new Giulia? There was no spark, no involuntary grin from ear to ear. No sale. And, actually, I'm sad, after waiting for so long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So of course, I shamed "Giovanna"* publicly, and she responds by behaving perfectly normally, for the first time in over six weeks. Clearly, I misspoke.

*After a Jag 4.0 S-Type with Elizabeth Hurley voicing the nav system, all the cars get feminine names. Jag - Elizabeth, Audi - Dagmar (so German it hurts), Volvo S80 - Solveig, Volvo C30 - Britte, Alfa, bought on the feast day of St. Joan of Arc is Joan, Giovanna, of course!

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I will always have my AC and will not turn off the engine to save gas. I like AC in my Alfas.
Stop start does not affect AC operation. You will not be turning your Giulia off but it will keep doing so automatically. Eventually you will just forget to switch off the stop start system every time you start your Giulia and you won't notice anything unusual.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Heh, heh, heh. You betcha, Red Rider, lol.

Seriously, any car I HAVE to try to adapt to and learn to run like a computer game isn't for me. The first drives in an Alfa model always sold me on the car, and I bought it or one like it. Certainly the 64 Sprint GT did, the 91S did, and the 94LS, esp as it is configured now.

The new Giulia? There was no spark, no involuntary grin from ear to ear. No sale. And, actually, I'm sad, after waiting for so long.
Well, that's a shame in a way. I have driven the TI and the QF and they are just the best iteration of the modern turbo powered sedan so far devised. FCA boss Marchionne was absolutely right to insist on a redesign. Even so it seems the car was released a tad before final completion. The drive really is as good as it is possible to make but it is not comparable to driving even a ten year old design. Much much better to drive but also nowhere near as directly connected to the driver as even a five year old car was. The future is now.

I bought my Subaru BRZ in part because it was such a throwback car, noisy, lively, with perhaps excessive road feel. Reminds me of a Triumph GT6 or my 82 Alfa GTV6. But it got tiresome quickly. So, I fit better shocks, softer rear springs, a stiffer front bar and a supercharger. Now it drives more like a modern car!

The new Giulia is about as good as it's going to get for the internal combustion powered car. From here on we're looking at artificially boosting performance with battery power.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
"also nowhere near as directly connected to the driver as even a five year old car was. The future is now"

Well, lol, sometimes the future sucks. I cannot be forced into liking some of it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Del, what did you expect from family berlina that is sold from China to Andorra? To have the same character as 40-50 years old sports coupe?

41 - 60 of 85 Posts