Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, 67 spider with a 68 motor. was having a little bog problem when i step on the gas. i had carbs rebuilt. then purchased a pertronix flame thrower dist. car was running rough

now this morning, no spark. how do i test the coil? do i need a multimeter?

these plugs look terrible

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, a multimeter will be needed, but you can get a little tester that simulates a sparkplug that goes inline on a plug lead. Available at most auto parts stores. A few different designs available. Time for new plugs & a coil no doubt!

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
Did you change the coil at the same time you changed the distributor? I'm not saying that you should have, but some electronic ignition systems need a coil with a certain primary resistance - if your coil is above/below that spec then yea, it may have fried the coil, or more likely, the electronics in the distributor.

As an aside, the Pertronix/Flamethrower has an advance curve intended for an air-cooled Volkswagen. That wouldn't cause your ignition to stop working, but it will cause weaker engine performance.

I'm not seeing what looks so terrible about your spark plugs - they aren't oil-fouled, they aren't melted, what's the issue?

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
a quick check of a coil with no tools can be made by disconnecting the lead where the coil wire goes into the center terminal of the dizzy cap. Hold the metal end near - not touching - a ground on the engine and have someone crank it. You should see spark from the coil wire to the ground. that plug I could live with. ciao chris

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Examine the continuity at the plug/HT lead terminals carefully if you have recently bought a set of repro Cavis leads. I'll be posting more about this soon. Did the coil get excessively hot?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts