Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test button has never worked on my 94 LS. Lights on dash are good and I realize this is a minor thing, but I'd like for as much of the car to work properly as it can. Usual culprits for test button not working? Should I try and take it out and clean it like I did for the power window switches? I didn't immediately see a fuse that could be the culprit. Rheostat, trip computer and associated buttons close by all work fine or pretty good. I'm not against buying a new button if need be but to be honest, I don't think I've ever seen one listed for sale. Any thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
961 Posts
Funny thing is I just noticed mine does not work either. It's a simple button so if closing the contacts at the harness does not light them up, could be more than a switch issue.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Yes but perhaps not long enough. So, either the blinking "air bag" light has corrected itself or that bulb has also burned out.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
A good way to test if the button would be to remove it and manually short the contacts. Getting the button out takes a bit of trim removal so don't even consider it if you aren't confident about doing that.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
My airbag light came on after the car sat without power for 6 months, while I sorted the starter motor and replaced the interior heater matrix. Not sure which of the above caused it so didn't feel like paying to get it reset and it probably coming back again. In the meantime removed the bulb for the indicator light.

·
Registered
961 Posts
If you had the center console out (or airbag connector disconnected) and turned your key to the ACC setting, that's what will set off the error code. If you have pre-94/95, I think I did read about a procedure to cure that.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks. It's a 1994 model and I removed the matrix through the engine bay, taking out the aircon unit in the process. Lots of wires got strained in the process. Don't think damaged anything but obviously did something not perfectly.

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
24v car will flash airbag light right around 100k miles without you doing anything to prompt it. Either get marelli tester or DIMTY’s software code to clear it.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
Umm, that light didn't come on in my 94 when it passed 100k miles, now at 118k. Have fingers crossed, lol.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Nor mine. When airbags were first mandated it was assumed they would have a safe service life. It turns out they continue to be safe indefinitely until the first deployment. Then they're no good after that.

There were ideas that servicing would be required within a time frame or a mileage limit. Then engineers realized there was no way to do that. Like seatbelts and space capsules, airbags are engineered items. They are designed and manufactured to exacting repeatable standards. The designs are periodically destructively tested to verify the engineering. The ones you rely on are of course untested.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
The only thing I read about older airbags was that some were worried that the propellant would degrade with time, thus some sort of service or lifetime concerns. The thought was to remove and replace. At the cost of those, not likely. At least the ones in the 164 are not the faulty ones from Japan, with millions of recalls.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I geard the same thing about the propellant degrading. It's another reason why am less bothered about ensuring this system tells me it is electronically OK, as that is meanigless if the propellant is duff.

·
Premium Member
15,851 Posts
I think they were worried that with the propellant degrading, it would burn in an unstable uncontrolled reaction, producing an unpredicatable bag inflation rate, maybe too much force.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts