Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the progress of shutting down and selling my Montreal restoration project for various reasons. Lack of interest isn't one of them. The car is unfortunately in the middle of a rocker panel rust repair (I have the missing pieces), the interior is out (I have it) and the doors are temporarily removed. The suspension is completely renewed and has a Classic Alfa handling kit, Bilstein shocks and new poly and rubber bushings everywhere. Nothing needs to be done to the bottom of it. What are your thoughts on selling a project like this? Are objects like these generally shunned? Should I just break it up and sell the pieces one by one on eBay the sooner the better? Would you just skip a classified ad containing a half restored Montreal? Is everyone looking for low mileage mint specimens?

I wonder what to do. It needs to go ASAP-ish, but I'd hate to see it end up in various parts bins across the world. I'd hate even more to have it rot away in the backyard because I was stubborn. Every little thing I did to it over the last 5 years is documented here: La Tempesta

Note: this is not an advertisement, and please don't ask for parts.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
From a money perspective, parting it out would probably make the most sense for you.

As a buyer, my biggest concern would be whether or not all of the bits and pieces are included. Buying a project in boxes is very risky, especially with a limited edition like a Montreal. If you have to start shopping for individual parts, it can get expensive quickly.

You might be better off to bolt what you have together.

My .02,

bs

·
Push hard and live
10,450 Posts
Tor,
You recognize the conundrum. A dismantled project tends to attract only very low offers for legitimate reasons. If, in fact, the project is complete, then it ought to get MORE in a dismantled state with some work done, but experience has shown this is not the case.

I'm not an expert on Montreals specifically, but in watching the ads here in the US, my impression is that a perfect example has a hard time exceeding $30,000. Nice drivers fetch around $25,000, although many aren't actually sold at this price due to sellers wanting more than the market. Complete, tatty, running, with few serious issues, seem to be $15,000 - $18,000. All of the above plus visible rust needing repair $9,000 - $12,000. Not running, tatty, rust, theoretically complete perhaps $5,000 - $9,000.

So, what is yours likely to fetch?

I'd guess $3,000 - $5,000 if any buyer wants to deal with the hassle of retrieval from Norway. Less if only local buyers are interested. Selling it all over Ebay, in my opinion, will get about the same amount, leave you with a lot of parts unsold, and require much time and hassle getting pieces packaged and shipped, plus dealing with a variety of personality disorders among your customers.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the insight. It would appear Montreals are cheaper in the US than over here in Europe, but it might just be wishful thinking, a poor exchange rate, a cultural crash and flat calculator batteries. I really don't know, and I have no empirical data.

Whatever the market says, I now have an offer for NOK 45,000. That's in the vicinity of USD 8,200. I originally wanted more, but my priority is getting rid of it. Financially it'll be a mountain of lost money in any case. Being poor is expensive :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Thanks for the insight. It would appear Montreals are cheaper in the US than over here in Europe, but it might just be wishful thinking, a poor exchange rate, a cultural crash and flat calculator batteries. I really don't know, and I have no empirical data.

Whatever the market says, I now have an offer for NOK 45,000. That's in the vicinity of USD 8,200. I originally wanted more, but my priority is getting rid of it. Financially it'll be a mountain of lost money in any case. Being poor is expensive :rolleyes:
If I were in your position, I would jump on that offer. Hopefully the potential buyer isn't getting pricing advice from this thread..

bs

·
Push hard and live
10,450 Posts
Yeah, I'd run to the bank with that check. My estimates were based on tracking Montreal sales for a while, as I'd enjoy having one, but am neck-deep in projects at the moment. $8,200 seems like good value for you, and good value for the buyer depending upon the amount of work that has been done, and therefore how much he won't have to pay to finish it. You stated you have some of the components already done, and as I noted, that ought to get you more than an assembled mess in totally unknown condition. Typically, it just doesn't get any extra money, with the lesson being that a project that is started ought to be finished, as an unfinished one is at the bottom of the value curve.

Sounds like a sale to me.

As for values being different here than Europe - I don't know. I've watched the postings wherever they pop up, with more being here than there. It may be that the cars in Europe are generally better than here, which wouldn't surprise me at all. The historical prices get shuffled around by changing exchange rates, state of the economy etc. This is a bad time to be selling a non-essential asset, although a European buying an American asset can get a great deal due to currency rates.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Sorry to see it has come to this Tor W!

Don´t see your reasons other than the project has grown over your head. The money you are offered is only a fraction of what you have invested in this nice car, which it was before you dismantled it! Also if money was an issue, the small amount offered could not help you anywhere!
Surely If I had place for this car I would advise you to stow away the car, with all its parts. You could wait some years until inspiration returned and you were motivated to put it all together again. I have seen projects like this take many years, its an excercise in patience!

rgds.

Gabor

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Gabor. This has nothing to do with neither lack of time nor lack of interest or inspiration. My plan was always to finish it before my 50th birthday, and that is slightly more than six and a half years from now. I've been trough all the ifs, whens and maybes already - dozens of times - and this is the only way. I've sold all the other cars too, except for the Giulietta. Tough times ;)

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Look It took me 17 years to get my Spider back on the road!!! Just started it 2 weeks ago and when it turned over it was a great feeling of accomplishment. I also was frustrated at times, and ready to sell out!! All I can say is 1 Bolt at a time!! I did everything to this car except rebuild the motor and tranny. Made a 82 look like a 74. Every bushing, fuel line, wire, interior etc... I as well have a Montreal and that is much more a challenge than a Spider, I give you credit for taking on such a project. I know HeavyMetal has been working on 1 for some years now.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is not about lack of time, lack of interest or lack of motivation! If I could just mothball it and wait for better times, I would.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the offer Gabor, but no thanks. I've already cancelled the contract on the garage from 1. June, so unless it's sold by then it's going to sit in my back yard.

Like I said; I've been through every permutation there is with regard to the situation. It's got to go.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Hi
We part out a lot of cars and I think that your advisors are way too low in regard to the value of your Montreal. The engine and transmission are probably worth what you've been offered. I'll give you an example:
We had a Giulia Spider normale project car that we tried to sell for 3 years. We couldn't get offers over $5-6000. Two weeks ago we decided to part it out because of storage space problems. In the last two weeks, we've sold almost $10,000 worth of parts on eBay. If you have time to part it out, you'll get a lot more than $8000. If you don't have the time, then sell it whole. We sold a scruffy Montreal several years ago for $10,000. I'm sure that we could have gotten more by parting it out.
KG

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Hi
We part out a lot of cars and I think that your advisors are way too low in regard to the value of your Montreal. The engine and transmission are probably worth what you've been offered. I'll give you an example:
We had a Giulia Spider normale project car that we tried to sell for 3 years. We couldn't get offers over $5-6000. Two weeks ago we decided to part it out because of storage space problems. In the last two weeks, we've sold almost $10,000 worth of parts on eBay. If you have time to part it out, you'll get a lot more than $8000. If you don't have the time, then sell it whole. We sold a scruffy Montreal several years ago for $10,000. I'm sure that we could have gotten more by parting it out.
KG
For the record, as one who provided advise early in the thread, I think I recommended that parting it out would be much more economically feasible.

His $8200 offer would seem to be more in line with your $10,000. However, I'd also argue that your scruffy Montreal was probably also all in one piece, and the OP described his as a little bit in pieces. Which is also why I recommended at least bolting his back together. A running, complete car will always be worth more than that same car in pieces, even if I know I'm the next guy who will have to take it all apart again..

bs

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After a couple of rounds of bidding, the Montreal project is now at $12,300 (EUR 8550). Deadline is tomorrow morning (euro time). I'll leave the detailed analysis to you guys.

When the sale wraps I'm leaving the BB. I'm already out of the local AR club and organizing of the Corsa Italiana racing series. Current cirumstances don't allow for much besides doing nothing. Thanks for the ride though ;)

So long.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi champ, if your selling in pieces i am very interested in the two front seats & other interior bits
Regards Dario

1 - 16 of 16 Posts