Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Previous owner of my 84 Spider disconnected the tension bars in the trunk. I have no idea why, but I'd like to fix them.

Can anyone provide some tips on how to do this, or an alternative? I'm absolutely baffled.

In what order should I install them?

Also, it'd be great if someone could share photos of the tension bars connected up. I've found a few shots by searching but nothing real clear.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Related: The trunk doesn't latch. The latch itself will close and then open from the pull lever, so I know that at least the cable isn't snapped.

Any suggestions on where to start?

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Are your tension bars connected to anything right now? I can send a picture but not right now.
They have 3 positions a I recall. I grab them with vise grips and pull them under one of those positions. Start with the position closest to the rear of the car.
If the trunk doesn’t latch, that is probably why they were disabled to keep it from opening up all the time. Is the piece on the lid that engages the latch mechanism there? If so, may be an alignment/adjustment issue.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Not the greatest quality but hopefully this will help. From left to right looking into the trunk on my '86.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
Please be careful when setting these. If one of them slips out of your hand while you are pulling it back, you could break parts of your hand.
Hence reason I use vise grips. Odds are that the rubber cover shown in the photos is missing. Not necessary for functionality.

·
Premium Member
5,865 Posts
I use a red shop rag to pull the springs into the notch. Does less damage bang into stuff when it slips out of your hand.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
I use a red shop rag to pull the springs into the notch. Does less damage bang into stuff when it slips out of your hand.
I can't believe you ever let one slip Jim. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
If you don't have the torsion bars or don't care to mess with them, you could use gas struts. They are easy to adapt, inexpensive and work well. From an earlier thread::

Replacing Trunk Torsion spring with Gas Strut

This is taken from a post here: Trunk lid torsion springs by Miller O Works

From Autozone you need E95548 Strut and (2) SA3000 ball ends:

Install 2 ea. 10mm Ball ends, one is mounted to the hinge, in the hole utilized for the "Z" bracket. The other is located on the side wall of the trunk. Use an extended strut to locate the proper position for the lower ball end.

( the ball end must be welded to the sidewall. A couple options are for your choice. Weld the ball end to a plate, then weld the plate in position, which is what I did. OR drill a hole in the trunk side wall, then weld the ball end in the hole)

Place the trunk liner in position, with a hot poker (i used a torch heated awl, MELT an opening into the liner a the lower ball position. Place the heated awl on the ball end and move slowly around the ball end to allow circumference of ball end to protrude through the trunk liner.

Install the struts onto the ball ends, and enjoy!

Note: If you are replacing the roundtail torsion springs, you will need (2) Struts and (4) ball ends...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts