Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.
I've just bought a new home here in Virginia that, unfortunately, does not have a garage. Can anyone recommend a high quality temporary garage, shelter, clam shell, or other system that I could use to protect my Spider from the elements?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Premium Member
27,389 Posts
Greetings.
I've just bought a new home here in Virginia that, unfortunately, does not have a garage. Can anyone recommend a high quality temporary garage, shelter, clam shell, or other system that I could use to protect my Spider from the elements?
Thanks,
Kevin
My friend Marc just had two car ports erected on his property. Here is info he send friend about them if that interests you send me email using my address below.

"Skip,

For your info.
We did quite some shopping around for the carports.

The standard size (Depth) for our type was 20ft
They can customize the depth at no additional cost (but you still pay for a 20ft)
We purchased a 30ft (wide) by 18 ft and a 28 ft (wide) by 18ft.

The weird thing!
Ace, Crutchman and a couple of other local places sell the SAME Carolina Carports.
The price quote for ONE by Ace Hardware was $4000
The same quote from the local Gloucester Crutchman place was $2200

We upgraded the height from 6ft to 7ft and as Gloucester requires the 130mph wind certificate, we had to upgrade the fasteners and anchors.
Total price was a little under $5000 for both.
Note, 7ft side walls gives you a clearance of 9.5 ft (needed for the tractor)

The carport is put together with aircraft type of rivets.
They used galvanized screws with neoprene washers for the roof and horizontal cross-members.

The anchors are the cork-screw auger type things. (OPTIONAL)
About 5 ft long, screwed into the ground and BOLTED through the frame. (unlike some of them where they just use metal straps).

Order time:
It takes a day for Carolina Carports to weld and cut the carports to your size.
They can load 3 carports on their truck and depending on the size it takes 2.5 to 3.5 hours to mount them.
Once they have a truck full for YOUR AREA they come and install it.
So if you're lucky ... the same week but it can take up to 6 weeks.

Hope this helps"

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am at work and do not have all the pics here that I do at home but you can search my name as I have posted pics of my soft shelter that my 14 y/o and I constructed in an afternoon and it has held up to snow wind rain etc. I bought it at Groom and sons Hardware for about 300-400$ it is 12' wide by 20' deep. It is moveable I hold it down by using 6, 5 gallon buckets filled with quickcrete and into them I put about a 12" long eye bolt (that has a corkscrew type base to screw into the dirt and then attach guy ropes for an easy up). I use tie downs to loop over the frame work inside and place the hook through the eye in each bucket so it holds things nicely in place. We just had a tornado and high winds( no tornado right over it but seriously high winds 50-75 mph) come through here in the last two days and it stayed put. I would have liked a more permanent type like the carolina but we just rent so I wanted portability as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
I recently had this contructed on my property. See Pictures. About 6 yrs ago I had a Motorhome that I parked behind the house on a concrete pad. I sold the MH about 3 ys ago and had the pad vacant. The garage is 12 x 25 and 8 ft tall at the roll up door. Cost for the garage was $2650 installed. It took them about 6 hrs to erect. The original cost of the pad was $1500 but that included some sidewalks. The wife can now put her car in the house garage. She was always complaing about how hot the inside of her car got here in Florida. I'm happy with my new Alfacave and she can't complain anymore

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Thanks for the great feedback.
I should have mentioned that I will have to deal with a homeowner's association that probably won't be happy with anything that looks permanent. Does anyone have any experience with something like this (http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/index.cfm?sku=SZ101610H&catid=58)? How do they hold up in the wind, etc.?
Thanks,
Kevin
As stated I have had no issues with wind or snow build up but mine is sheltered some by the surrounding trees and house. It also depends on how you choose to anchor it mine did move around easily until I weighted it down with the concrete buckets and by using this method I can move each bucket as needed and four people one at each corner can lift and move my shelter where ever we need it.

·
Premium Member
27,389 Posts
Thanks for the great feedback.
I should have mentioned that I will have to deal with a homeowner's association that probably won't be happy with anything that looks permanent. Does anyone have any experience with something like this (http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/index.cfm?sku=SZ101610H&catid=58)? How do they hold up in the wind, etc.?
Thanks,
Kevin
I SUGGEST YOU RETINK THIS PROJECT as my friend did in WA. He installed a green house without plants but a translucent covering. It hid his totaled 164S and it's replacement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts