Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am wondering if action is needed: on most days my 164 S temp gauge runs smack in the middle on 175... even on those really hot 90 deg+ days. But with the A/C on the temp will spike depending on driving conditions e.g. normal cruising vs stop and go.

Under cruising conditions, the temp gauge with the A/c on runs one notch above 175 and will stay there as long as I am moving... but if I hit traffic, the needle will read at two notches above 175 at which point I turn off the a/c and roll down the windows generating a nice seat belt sweat sash across my shirt and tie.

Keep in mind that this only happens with the A/C on ... and even on the most hot 100 deg. days with the A/c off the temp stays right at 175.

So I am not exactly sure what to do... If it were running hot all the time I would flush the system, and change everything... but its doing well unless I use the a/c...

IS this normal for the 164? I know my spiders and GTv6 run a little hot when the a/c is on.. especially in traffic... but not as much as the 164...

Thanks guys
Cheers
Martin.

·
Premium Member
15,522 Posts
Not much of a problem. Two notches above 175F is 212F. Still ok if you have 50/50 coolant mix. Even the next notch or mark at 230F is survivable. 50/50 coolant mix is good for about 260F (don't go here) before boiling if the cooling system holds it's proper pressure of about 15 psi. My LS and S tend to sit at the same temp, about 212F, rising slightly with the a/c on, all day, and I know everything works on them.

Does it rise any further with more time, or does it just sit there? You can check to see if the cooling fan comes on at the low setting when the a/c is on. It is supposed to. If the car doesn't overheat without the a/c on, then it seems the fan is working, at least on the high setting. Check the low setting.

Actually 175F is a little low for this car in normal a/c off use. Should read a little higher, maybe the next notch at 194F. Thermostat might be weak, although sometimes the gauge reads a little off.

Do a little searching in this forum and the 164 Digest. Both have many posts regarding this situation.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
You need to verify cooling fan running on low speed after a/c pressure builds up to 210 psi from heat transfer in freon and also when radiator temp rises to about 198F.

Check that resistor for low speed located in radiator fan shroud upper corner behind coil bracket is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts