Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For:1985 Graduate.

Where can I find a replacement water temp gauge? What size do I have? When purchasing a replacement do I need to know any techno lingo? I gather it is an electrical gauge.

I don't mind a non-Alfa part but I'd like it to be black & understated. Vendor recommendations are welcome.

How do I get it out? Sorry, but I searched the forum and found nothing.

You cannot imagine how much I have learned through this forum. I always appreciate the help and I love to read how problems are solved. Someday, maybe I will be able to make a worthwhile contribution.

Thank you all, Joe

·
Administrator
16,555 Posts
I think if you remove the glove box you will have a wee bit of room to reach in behind the gauge to remove it.

Usually the gauge is quite reliable. If it doesn't work the first thing to check is the electrical connections at the sender (on the right side of the cylinder head) and at the gauge. With the ignition 'on', remove the wire at the sender* and touch it to any bare metal ('ground it'). The gauge should then read full hot. If it does then the gauge & wiring is OK and the sender is faulty.

*I think it is a single brown wire - but wait for confirmation as I'm at work and trying to rely on memory...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a spare chrome trimmed temp guage. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. If you are interested drop me a PM. Cheers, John

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your help. I can close out this topic by telling you the steps I took:
1. Disconnect battery.
2. Remove glove box door.
3. Remove glove box interior shell.
4. Reach behind the gauge and feel for the tiny nut. It came off without the use of a tool. It holds a bracket which releases the gauge so you can pull it out from the front. Be careful not to drop the nut.
5. Swap out gauges.
This project is not over for me because I have a bunch of wires (mostly radio) that need attention so I will be removing more interior trim
Again, thanks to all who made suggestions. I hope someone finds my little procedure helpful. Testing gauges is outside the realm of this thread. Regards, Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts