Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Just a guess at this point, but I speculate you need either need the head rebuilt or you have a blown head gasket. That tight clearance might have resulted in a burnt valve or it just may indicate its been a long time since anyone adjusted her. 4 is too tight although some people run really tight clearances across the intake side.

Redo the test with a cap full of oil in each cyl. If it comes up significantly it indicates rings. If it doesn't come up...indicates gasket or valves. I am wondering about #1 since it is way low compared to 3 and 4. If either 1 or 2 come up significantly with oil....consider pulling the motor and refreshening it all.

I am guessing at minimum you are looking at some valve lapping, reshimming, and reinstalling. And if you want to do it right if it hasn't been done in 4-5 years....especially if the car is using oil, install new guides and stem seals for sure and valves if necessary.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Bob:

If piston is clean on 2 then probably a blown head gasket. Was she smoking white on decel?

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.