Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo spider
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could some of you tell me about the '80 - '81 spiders? I understand that the fuel injection is horrible but other than the FI, why do these cars get such a bad rap? (Friends don't let friends buy "80-"81 Spiders) I am looking for a cheap toy to enjoy for a while to replace the GTV6 that the company I work for screwed me out of. (long story) Anyway, I have the parts to convert a car to Webers and if there are no other faults thought this might be the way to go. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks - Cort

·
Registered
404 Posts
I happen to own a 1980 Spider with Spica and I just love it. Would never even consider doing the Weber conversion. In fact, I even have the whole kit to do it but I just love the fuel injection. Now, I have to admit that the car was retrofitted to a 1976 motor/pump so it doesn`t have as many of those restrictive gizmos to comply with the emission requirements.

Those rubber bumpers aren`t the nicest around but I`ve seen much worse. Just look at the 5 MPH bumpers on MGs.

And the bottom line is, it`s still an Alfa Romeo and that makes it desirable anyways!

·
Registered
521 Posts
My '81 has been retrofitted with a Wes Ingram rebuilt and set up '78 Spica pump. I agree that it's a nice car and a great deal.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
The 80-81 Spica models had the "Monofarfalla" intake system and are kind of the bastard children of the Spica world. It was difficult to tune, made the engine bay look lousy, and had every emission control device in the known universe. That's the only complaint about the 80-81's. Otherwise, they are just a regular Series 2a Spider.

As witnessed above, many owners converted over to the older Spica intake and removed the myriad of power-robbing emissions devices, or converted to webers/dellortos.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I don't see a problem with them. At this point the cars are so old that you will be replacing parts anyway, and converting to the older Spica system, Webers, L-Jet or whatever isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
FWIW and a bit off topic: I once owned a 1981 Honda Accord. It may have been the last vehicle sold in North America that still had a carburetor and that carb had, I swear, about a billion vacuum hoses coming off of it - they went everywhere, to various dashpots, control modules and splitter manifolds. It was an absolute freaking nightmare.

To illustrate how bad it was, I tried to donate it to one of those places for a tax write off but when I told them it was an '81 they said they wouldn't take that year model - not even for free.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
FWIW and a bit off topic: I once owned a 1981 Honda Accord. It may have been the last vehicle sold in North America that still had a carburetor and that carb had, I swear, about a billion vacuum hoses coming off of it - they went everywhere, to various dashpots, control modules and splitter manifolds. It was an absolute freaking nightmare.
Exactly, in the era of smog carbs, the Spica system was a wonder and those carb systems were a nightmare. To illustrate this point, here is the vacuum diagram from a Honda with a carb

Attachments

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I had an '88 Jeep Wrangler with an AMC 258 and a Carter BBD carb. God, how I hated that carb. It had computer controlled metering pins to vary the mixture, thus giving you the worst of both worlds--the foibles of a carb and the complexity of fuel injection. The vacuum lines, though, were mostly limited to other emissions control systems.

The engine, though, was rock-solid. You can't kill AMC straight-sixes, I'm convinced of it.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The engine, though, was rock-solid. You can't kill AMC straight-sixes, I'm convinced of it.
As long as we are now fully off track, I agree, the AMC sixes were bulletproof. Their V8s were darn good too. They didn't fail due to a lack of decent engines.

Greg

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo spider
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... and now back to the question at hand

Thanks to everyone for the comments about the 80-81 spiders. And yes the last carb Honda cars were nightmares. I remember some sort of Weber adaptor plate that allowed you to install a DGV series on some of them. And about the Jeeps, I had a '83 Cherokee w/ the 151cid 4 cyl that was not the 151cid 4 cyl in the Wrangler, the carb was a joke - I made an adaptor plate to put on a ... wait for it ... A Weber DGV carb. Being able to change your emission related parts is one of the benefits of living in this state. It certainly isn't for the employment. Now if someone close to the New Orleans area would sell their usable spider, things might not be so bad. I might even trade my 1991 Range Rover that needs work for the right car.

·
Registered
1974 Alfa Romeo spider
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could someone send pictures of this "Monofarfalla" manifold?

Could someone send pictures of this "monofarfalla" intake manifold specifically the changes between it and a standard Fi manifold? It sounds like you can get a better year Spica pump and intake manifold, put it straight on and solve this problem. I am sure that you would have to do something with the cams and exhaust manifold too. I have two Spica pumps (I think a '76 and maybe a '69) and early intake manifolds lying around. Could the pump parts be mixed a matched to make a supreme better than all pump? I have to be honest with all of you though, the home market never used this system and I like the Weber idea better. I had use of a '72 BMW 2002tii with the plastic runners and in comparison with standard 2002's this was incredible but my '76 Alfetta GT with Webers and old 1300cc cams was better than the all of the FI cars I knew about and was second only to my friends '74 spider with Dellorto 45's, oversized valves, & pop up pistons.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well let me know if you decide to switch to Webers. I have 2 conversion kits for sale (used). One is 40 DCOE 32 and the other 40 DCOE 27. I prefer to stick with SPICA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts