Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey There

After many many threads that i've read on here I remember one that said that wrong Torque figures kill most steering boxes and that you need to have the right approach (tighten all continuously). But I cannot possibly find the thread 0:)

So to clear this ones and for all - can someone provide me the torque specs and whether there is a special approach to tightening them? I'm just afraid that i could break something.

I was actually trying to bolt them down the other day but i wasn't able to push the lower end of the steering box to the wall it is attached to. So better ask than sorry. :)

Thanks a lot!
Alessandro

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
While bolt torqueing is important, so to is properly aligning the steering box when installing it to avoid cracking or breaking the steering box.
There are two Alfa information sheets linked below that provide rebuilding, torque and alignment procedures.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you papajam, i read through the Instructions and had a look back at my box. Thing is, I only removed the lower three bolts (to have them zinc coated) and without the bolts installed i cannot possibly push the steerin box towerd the inner fender wall. is that normal? I have a hard time believing that since alu wont and shouldnt bend especially this precious and sensitive steering box...

On another note the zinc coated bolts are/were not in a good shape so need to replace them with new ones anyway, does anyone have the specs on them or maybe replaced them recently?

Thanks a lot!
Alessandro

1 - 3 of 3 Posts