Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While restoring a 1948 6C 2500 SS, VIN 915727 (a Pinin Farina Convertibile), we found a technical oddity on its front axle, and I wonder if anyone of you has ever seen such a device or can make any comment as to its purpose. On either side of the front axle´s lonitudinal arms there was a bomb-shaped (or should I say Minion-shaped) weight attached. They were obviously filled with oil and weighed about 2kg each. It was not possible to open them up and have a look inside, as they were crimped and welded together with no other opening but the oil filler on top. Dimensions were about 22 cm high and 9cm across. It was obviously some kind of damper, but who would add weight to the unsprung part of the suspension and why? Probably as an attempt to prevent the suspension from building up unwanted vibrations, but this is just a guess. The car had been standing in a private museum for over 30 years and the parts look pretty original, so I do not think they have been added later. The parts book gives no hint, and on over 20 other 6Cs I have never seen anything similar. Can anybody tell what this might be? We have not re-fitted them to the car as I could not make any sense of these parts. Please accept my apologies for the unprofessional pictures. They were taken with an old Ipad some time ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tnank you, I just learned something! You are both definitely right, but I would never have thought of Citroen. I have never been working on a 2CV and even the basic principle of hanging a heavy mass damper onto the end of an axle seems weird to me, but the parts are definitely 2 CV. Thankfully, Alfa Romeo had more advanced constructions and the car is now back on the road again without these deadweights...

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I would venture a guess that the roads where the car was driven were not smooth, and the weights would damper the oscillations, thereby helping the shocks? The feedback to the steering would have been dramatic, so this would have been an easy solution if stronger shocks were not available. Clever whoever thought of doing that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also thought that this should help against building up a judder or heavy vibrations. I had that a few yers ago on an Invicta. At a certain speed after going through a pot hole the steering was so massively building up vibrations that I had to slow down to standstill, otherwise it would have beaten the steering wheel out of my hands. Possibly, with some play or wear in the needle bearings, our 6C had some kind of resonance phenomenon and they were trying to counteract this. Possibly with no spare parts available at that time or maybe they had to find a relatively cheap solution.
I was quite confused because designwise, the parts looked early 50ies, so it did´t look totally wrong, and therefore I am quite happy that people on this forum were able to identify them. Maybe I should keep these parts for the next guy who doesn´t want to invest a few thousand in his worn front axle and offer a cheap solution...;-)
Besides- we have made a small eries of original size front axle needle berarings , dust rings, dust discs and kingpin cups top and bottom, for ourselves, and just in case somebody else needs such parts. They are not oversized, since I think we should not bore out the original axle parts, but have the original dimensions. As far as I know, these parts are otherwise unavailable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts