Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I floated this before but it would be nice to have a thread/technical library where people could upload diagrams, schematics, useful articles, etc.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Either that or we'll give you our address and you can drop the envelope off with the photo(s), diagram(s) or whatever in our mailbox at night so we'd have them in the morning:cool: right before we start the project.:)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't you be responding to unsolicited cellphone offers or something.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Another good thing would be to have a full article on the diagnosis of each basic system of an automobile. So the members will be able to read it without having to start a new thread or searching through 100s of threads.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can get on-board with this idea .........

I floated this before but it would be nice to have a thread/technical library where people could upload diagrams, schematics, useful articles, etc.
I have a Haynes Alfetta car repair manual in PDF. I'd like to post it ( ie, share it).... but don't know if it is kosher or not.
you know....copywrite regs and all that.

But a Tech library should be awesome. I know that when I do a search on ALFABB ...... I have to weed thru a ton of unrelated stuff to get the answers I need.

:rolleyes:Not that I'm complaining here... as I have received nothing but excellent advice, suggestions and brilliant insights :D to my specific issues , from the BB. members. And for that I'm grateful.

But can someone tell me if it's okay to post the aforementioned Alfetta manual.........

:cool: ALFSEDAN

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Technical Library / Copyright Infringement

I have a Haynes Alfetta car repair manual in PDF. I'd like to post it ( ie, share it).... but don't know if it is kosher or not.
you know....copywrite regs and all that.

But can someone tell me if it's okay to post the aforementioned Alfetta manual.........

:cool: ALFSEDAN
AROC has a technical library as a resource; however, many AROC members post technical information to both the Alfa Digests and the bb in response to questions, many times including schematics and diagrams as needed.

As far as copyright, it is pretty restrictive; although, there are exceptions for excerpts allowed for face-to-face teaching. I don't believe the bb qualifies under that provision. It is designed primarily for classroom teaching.

You can always post selected pages or paragraphical material to support a point as long as proper credit is given to the originating source. If you own the copyright on the item, the rules are a little more flexible.

Things that are already available on the Internet are generally considered in the public domain unless specifically noted as copyrighted. However, in reposting something that is considered public domain you should always credit the link or the author.

Imo, to repost a complete manual or a substantial portion of it is not within the copyright laws unless you personally own the copyright as in an out of print book that you authored where the copyrights have reverted to you.

In order for an item to be free of copyright it has to be quite old; generally, copyright law covers the life of the author plus 70 years at which time it can be passed on to heirs. There are other specifics depending on when the item was first published, how many authors there were etc. Complicated and complex to say the least; better to err on the legal or conservative side of the copyright law rather than violating it, which can be quite expensive.

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Technical Library / Tom Tompkins

Does anyone have any idea what ever happened with the library in Santa Barbara that Tompkins was putting together?
I've had several people inquire about its whereabouts and condition. The last I heard his widow had it and was not willing to talk to anyone about it, its condition, its ultimate resting place etc. She has not been returning calls or letters is what I've heard from those that have tried to contact her.

There may be a reason other than she is overwhelmed; there is some question over the legitmacy of the library and how parts of it were obtained. Read: legal action if it suddenly surfaced and certain items were contained within it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
what a great library tommy tompkins had...and what a helpful person..

i spend an wonderful afternoon with the tompkins many years ago.....hope she is doing well

anyway you guys would not believe the factory material and parts tommy had....all you had to to was call him and he'd copy and send what every material you asked for

the best part of his collection was his alfa factory tools...most were new

he had about 6 to 8 cars as i remember (about 4 2600 sprints and gtv's)
and had great knowledge about the marquee...i miss the guy!

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
I've had several people inquire about its whereabouts and condition. The last I heard his widow had it and was not willing to talk to anyone about it, its condition, its ultimate resting place etc. She has not been returning calls or letters is what I've heard from those that have tried to contact her.

There may be a reason other than she is overwhelmed; there is some question over the legitmacy of the library and how parts of it were obtained. Read: legal action if it suddenly surfaced and certain items were contained within it.

Sorry, but my view is somewhat different. There was a substantial number of things I LEANT to the library to be copied and returned, which I never got back. Tompkins would also try and badger people into giving him things instead of paying for them, and he was far from a poor man...

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
Sorry, but my view is somewhat different. There was a substantial number of things I LEANT to the library to be copied and returned, which I never got back. Tompkins would also try and badger people into giving him things instead of paying for them, and he was far from a poor man...
I was not willing to post what Stu has, but it is the truth. They were a very nice, generous, and accommodating couple until they got what they wanted from you. Our experience was similar to Alfaman's post, some lovely dinners and meetings at their home; in our case, the originals were kept and copies returned. Tom blamed his wife for returning the copies rather than the originals, situation to be corrected; it never has been. So yes, I'm watching patiently for them to turn up; in a way, I feel like Ron Goldman's father, trying to recoup some things that were literally stolen from Pat's library.

I'm not going to post what went missing, for fear they will be further buried because of impending repercussions. There are a few of Pat's close friends who know what the items were and keep an eye out for them.

Unfortunately, this is the exception to Alfadom and Alfisti; thankfully, they are far and few between. Pat and I ran across more than just Tom who were of this nature because of Pat's willingness to share about Alfas and his ultimate trust in others which was not reciprocated on more than one occasion.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As Stu and Sheryl can tell you, I too had similar problems with the "non-profit" Santa Barbara Alfa library (remember it was advertised as such in the alfa Owner. Unfortunately all that material is still sitting in heaps deteriorating as we speak....

The best source of untapped Alfa technical data has to be in the back issues of the Alfa Owner. A few years ago an effort was made to compile the data resulting in the SPICA and Bosch Injection manuals (though it appears the SPICA manual no longer appears to be available through the club). It's a shame the idea was not pursued as such columns as Russ Baer's "Giulietcettera" column had a wealth of practical data.

·
Registered
837 Posts
wow..it's something how people can have different opinions on someone through widely different experiences

my experience was i was somewhat fed up on buying from the national alfa club...(thought they were the ones more profit driven)

in my case he literally offered to give me a 73 gtv, never got charged for items copied or tools loaned....i gave him some of my literature to copy..got it back (although just a few things)......having said that, hope everyone gets their items back

·
Registered
118 Posts
This was truly a Jeckyl and Hyde situation and a sore point to many people....... This story may best sum this up - A couple weeks before he died, I got a phone call from Tom telling me he was not doing well and asking if I could come up from LA to visit him. I was a bit hesitant as I felt taken advantage of in the past. But after he had called a couple more times, I felt sorry for him having watched his physical deterioration over past year and decided to drive up and pay him a visit. So I drove an hour and half to his house where I was greeted by his wife. Pleasent as ever, she offered me a cup of coffee (amazing what I'll do for a cup of coffee.....) and asked me to wait in their den. By this time their home had been overcome by boxes floor to ceiling of Alfa books and literature Tom had bought in bulk from various enthusiasts selling off their collections and publishers selling off their old stock. She wheeled him into the room. His appearance had changed dramatically - he was very frail, bald with a small cap to keep his head warm. His wife said we had only fifteen minutes to talk as Tom tired easily. He mentioned how glad he was to see me and we talked a while longer until one point he asked if there were any Alfa books I needed for my collection. Having started him on this kick a couple years earlier I told him not really – but there were two common titles I was missing but had neglected to pick up. He asked to turn around, and on the shelf were multiple copies of each. He asked if I would like a copy of each and I said sure and thanked him for the thought, but it wasn't necessary as that was not there reason I had come to visit. He insisted and then said the price on one was $25 and $50 for the other. I was taken aback – I would have said go ahead and take them but that’s me…… I told Tom I didn’t have more than a twenty on me as I had not come to buy Alfa books. If he wanted I could take the books and mail him a check when I got home that day. He said no, he would hold them and until I came back and paid him in cash. A couple minutes later, his wife came in our time was up and wheeled Tom out of the room. I never forgot the sinking feeling I had as I drove home – friends don’t treat friends that way…..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pat Braden told me on several occasions how betrayed he felt on how he was treated by Tom. Pat had given him his complete (to that date) set of Alfa Owners to copy and return and had never gotten them back.

My monument to gullibility is the new Alfa two sided dealer sign (I had an extra) still in the crate I had traded him for literature I never recieved. I beleive it still resting in his adjascent car port corroding away after all these years.

·
Registered
837 Posts
at one point i thought he beat the illness..but unfortunately it came back with a vengance..helluva way to go...

i still have several books he gave me...

what a sad strange story....guess you never know

·
Registered
4,631 Posts
I'm not going to post what went missing, for fear they will be further buried because of impending repercussions. There are a few of Pat's close friends who know what the items were and keep an eye out for them.
Gary, apparently, you didn't read this part of my post above, but now that you've spilled the goods so to speak, I feel obligated to correct the inaccuracies in what is missing or what was "stolen" depending on your individual definition of the word.

Btw, I'm still looking for that cereal to match my Alfa Bits shirt....no luck so far. ;)

Pat Braden told me on several occasions how betrayed he felt on how he was treated by Tom. Pat had given him his complete (to that date) set of Alfa Owners to copy and return and had never gotten them back.
First let me share that Gary did not mention how guilty I feel over what ultimately happened. I wanted to xerox the material and ship Tom Tompkins copies while we retained the originals. This was during the time that I had three small children, was working, and helping Pat run his business on the side as well as the time that Pat was in the process of writing one of his books, while working full-time, and running his free-lance business. Pat and I had one of our biggest disagreements over me doing what he asked, and just shipping the d*mn stuff to him and letting him pay for his own copies. I did finally accommodate, a big mistake, and how we lost the originals. Pat was not so much concerned about the copy expense since we have a xerox at home, but about the time it would require me to take away from other projects to make that number of copies.

What Gary has posted above is generally correct, but inaccurate in which original Alfa Owners were loaned and why they were worth "stealing" rather than borrowing. What Pat lost the originals to were the original Alfa Owners from issue number one up through when it became an actual magazine as I recall; without going back and looking, specifically. The box that they were shipped in is roughly 8-1/2 x 11 and 4 to 6 inches thick or tall. Anyway, Pat had a complete "original" set from the first issue forward. I still have a complete set, just not "originals," unfortunately.

So now that the whole truth is out there, if anyone should come across them, please let me know; I'd love to get them back. More than anything, I do not want his widow to profit from selling something that is not hers to sell.

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
The stuff I "loaned" to Tompkins included such things as original pre-war sales brochures and copies of books now valued at over $500 each...

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
All of you are being much too optimistic and very unrealistic about expecting anything to be returned, unless you truly force the issue... If you really want the items returned, you may want to form a united front, and send a polite but clear certified letter asking for the items, and planning on a trip to the widow's home to id and retrieve such items. The more time that goes by, the weaker your case becomes...

Best regards,

·
Banned
6,139 Posts
All of you are being much too optimistic and very unrealistic about expecting anything to be returned, unless you truly force the issue... If you really want the items returned, you may want to form a united front, and send a polite but clear certified letter asking for the items, and planning on a trip to the widow's home to id and retrieve such items. The more time that goes by, the weaker your case becomes...

Best regards,
Legal action would be pointless, as none of us, as far as I am aware, has any proof that the items were loaned and not given to Tompkins...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts