Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even if I get the intake cam to match it's mark, exhaust don't and it is still not TDC, Exhaust is even worse as far as matching the mark and TDC (power stroke). For some reason also, there is not a mark on the crank pulley to indicate TDC, the notch in it, or line, occurs about 30 degrees BTDC, I am very confused, some one know an answer to this?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hold a sec, what if the crank key sheared off, and allowed the timing to advance, causing the knocking noise at higher rpm and then gradually at idle???? This would explain the marks not aligning up at the crank and pointer, but still my cams are off of their marks by 2-3 degrees, how do I correct that situation-IF I am right?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Is your ignition crank triggered?

If so, yeah, that could do things like that with a sheared key.

The trick is, was the key sheared when you were into the cams a bit ago and may have inadvertantly set their timing wrong to begin with?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is your ignition crank triggered?

If so, yeah, that could do things like that with a sheared key.

The trick is, was the key sheared when you were into the cams a bit ago and may have inadvertantly set their timing wrong to begin with?
I've never touched my cams, my latest and greatest was getting my gears in the tranny crossdrilled (all nine of them) and rebuilding it the transmission and adding a SPEC stage II clutch and pressure plate. Yes, it is crank triggered.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm.

Why was I thinking you were doing cams....... (or were you in the 'what size VVT wrench' thread mabe? That coulda confused me)
Nope, never asked that either, in my other thread I asked if maybe the VVT could be the reason my valves appeared to be opening up so **** soon and possibly causing a kiss between piston and valve.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SOB!!! That is what it is, I just turned my pulley with a screw driver and neither cam or chain budged! I got a sheared crank key! Not a blown engine or bent valve, a freaking broken key!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
SOB!!! That is what it is, I just turned my pulley with a screw driver and neither cam or chain budged! I got a sheared crank key! Not a blown engine or bent valve, a freaking broken key!!!!!!!!!

So is it short key 60512748 item 9 in first picture for timing chain pulley 11 in second picture or is it item 8 long key 60507020 for crank pulley and oil pump/dizzy drive gear?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is it key 9 in first picture for pulley 11 in second picture?
I'd have to say it would be the crank key #8 that broke, for more than one reason. If 9 broke, the crank pulley would still read TDC as it would still be physically attached to the crank, also, the cams would've been off by 40 or more degrees instead of the crank pulley being off that much to read TDC.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'd have to say it would be the crank key #8 that broke, for more than one reason. If 9 broke, the crank pulley would still read TDC as it would still be physically attached to the crank, also, the cams would've been off by 40 or more degrees instead of the crank pulley being off that much to read TDC.
It would be #8 if you move drive belts (with PS, alternator,...etc) and timing chain does not move! If this is the case, there is a good chance that the rest of the engine might survive!

Is the TDC mark on the side of the teeth pulley? I have not been able to see the mark on my '91 yet - probably too dirty!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be #8 if you move drive belts (with PS, alternator,...etc) and timing chain does not move! If this is the case, there is a good chance that the rest of the engine might survive!

Is the TDC mark on the side of the teeth pulley? I have not been able to see the mark on my '91 yet - probably too dirty!
Teeth pulley-the timing disc (built in magnets for the hall effect sensor). I moved the timing disc with nothing else topside moving, which key is that? That diagram does not show what goes to which.

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
Teeth pulley-the timing disc (built in magnets for the hall effect sensor). I moved the timing disc with nothing else topside moving, which key is that? That diagram does not show what goes to which.

Not following your lingo but define timing disc again for me please. Are you talking about inside distributor?

I suspect long front key 60507020 is sheared for front pulley and oil pump gear which is located behind front pulley and timing chain drive gear which uses short key.

Item 3 in picture I believe is oil pump drive gear and oil pump drives distributor so if that key is sheared and crank pulley and oil pump drive gear not keyed to crank Yes Houston we have a problem. Phamtom image SGR. 10106 is timing chain drive gear.

Also the crank pulley is for a Motronic engine not L-jetronic so has teeth for timing sensor which on L-jet cars reads flywheel teeth instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not following your lingo but define timing disc again for me please. Are you talking about inside distributor?

I suspect long front key is sheared for front pulley and oil pump gear which is located behind front pulley and timing chain drive gear which uses short key.

Item 3 in picture I believe is oil pump drive gear and oil pump drives distributor so if that key is sheared and crank pulley and oil pump drive gear not keyed to crank Yes Houston we have a problem. Phamtom image SGR. 10106 is timing chain drive gear.

Also the crank pulley is for a Motronic engine not L-jetronic so has teeth for timing sensor which on L-jet cars reads flywheel teeth instead.
The crank pulley with the teeth on it, is actually a timing disc for my motronic pick up.

·
Premium Member
26,814 Posts
The crank pulley with the teeth on it, is actually a timing disc for my motronic pick up.
I see now you have a 1990 series 3 spider with series 4 motronic engine management. I missed that in your signature, sorry. The changeover year, so my pulley picture is true for your 1990 Spider.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ahhh...so does that mean the front cover has to come off?
I don't think so...I'm not sure right now, I remember the key when I removed that pulley to get the water pump off last year, but don't remember if it was on the snout outside of the front cover.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts