1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I will revert to stock before test.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
123 distributor may be here today? For sure by tomorrow. Since I have an extra AFM I swapped them out just to make sure that they ran identical, they do. I took one and richened 5 notches on the wheel.... it bumped down idle 2 points. Since it is creeping to 100 degrees today I wont get a good idea of how it performs through the rpm range but will put through the paces tomorrow before I install the new distributor and then again after I install it to get a good idea of how the advance curve affects the new settings. I think I am getting close to having it dialed in.....
Thanks to everyone who has given me valuable advice to this point!

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Distributor came and of course, in my fashion, I had to bear the heat and installed it. Very straight forward and went easily, until I started setting advance. Used the D curve as suggested but since i always work alone i could NOT watch dwell/tach, timing light, operate throttle AND turn distributor..... i think i have it close to RJ's suggestion of setting to M mark at 4K but i will have to fine tune when it is cooler and get significant other to help, just not sure which job to give her!

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Mark your pulley at 13 BTDC and turn the engine to that point then follow the instructions for setting the static timing with the LED. You will be pretty close to 34 BTDC at full advance. You may need an assistant to verify that. With Webers I can use a stick to push the carb linkage while watching the strobe on the pulley.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks Ed, I will try that. Setting it static at first is probably easier, then I can just look where I am at 4K... I need to see where my AFR is now too since I played with the AFM....

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well, while setting up the new distributor I decided to tweak the cam timing a bit. Exhaust has been set to its limits (minus one hole). I had intake set for VVT settings but since there is something internally wrong with the VVT ( I may install the other one I have when I correct lash) I decided to disable it and set intake to its limits ( minus 1 notch) and it has a seriously radical idle. Not very driveable under 1500 rpm but it sounds like a dragster sitting at the light.... I will probably back off the intake advance a bit but will drive it a day or 2 and decide what I want to do.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I am running a similar set up in my '88... Richard's 776 intake cam and 195 exhaust cam, mechanical VVT mechanism, Motronic pistons, head shaved 0.018", no porting, and the cast iron, two piece exhaust manifold. My LCs are currently 101/107. The VVT was non-functional (intake cam advanced) for a period of time and the idle was indeed "radical". When you get your VVT working, the idle and off-idle torque will improve dramatically.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yeah , I think I might just go ahead and order the new shims, pull the cam and install the VVT that I know works. I bet driving it like this for a day will help me make that decision....

41 - 49 of 49 Posts