Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just moved to Taos a few weeks ago and am wondering if there are any other "Afflicted" in the Taos area. I suppose most NM members are in the Albq./SF/Los Alamos areas based on the posts to this forum.
Actually I have not yet moved my Alfa to NM as I don't have the garage space cleared up and ready- still opening up boxes- it's like Christmas every day around here. Which prompts a couple of other questions :
1.) Do you guys have informal gatherings, driving tours, etc., and when?
2.) If I have my '74 GTV transported out here from Dallas do any of you have personal experience with or know of reputable AND reasonably priced covered transport services? I have been offered the use of open trailers/tow trucks, etc. out of Dallas but I dread the logistics of that option and prefer to spare the car's paint, which is also why I won't just drive it out here- that and the fact that I'm 6'4" and I cramp too easily these days (picture John Cleese's Minister of Silly Walks on the side of Interstate 40).
I will assume from the few inquiries I have made that most transport will be to Albuquerque to a residence or possibly to a storage or holding yard. If the former, I would greatly appreciate any ideas as to where I could stash the little jewell till I could make the trip down...hint, hint,...:D

Wally

·
Registered
284 Posts
Tx/nm

Wally,
I am glad to hear you have successfully made the move to NM. You may not remember me but we spoke at length this year at the Italian car fest in Grapevine. You gave me so much useful information about the ownership experience of the GTV i am lusting after. I really enjoyed our conversation and appreciate the time you spent with me.
I still look at the pic's i took of your lovely Red GTV.

Good luck in NM and i will miss seeing you and your car in the future.
All the best,

Michael Keane

·
Registered
518 Posts
Hi Wally.. Welcome to NM.. Fairly active club in ABQ... more than a few GTV's about.. I have a 74 and 69.. a few other toys too.. One that came from Taos a few years ago... Spider..
Good guy and mechanic in ABQ.. .Gordon Self for any help on the car.
Different than the Hill Country of Texas, but some great runs here. I believe you'll find a few good guys to connect with, offer help, occasional coffee, etc.
Don't know of Taos Alfa people, hopefully they'll show up for you and the ABQ group probably knows all of them. Monthly meetings usually in ABQ.
best
Dave R

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave- That's good to hear and I will hope you guys will post on the AlfaBB as to group gatherings, drives, etc.. It's a little lonesome up here as far as Alfa companionship. I wonder if your Taos Spider was the one I had spotted abandoned in a driveway in town a few years ago. Silver w/ blk. top? If so I'm really glad you beat me to it- I don't need any more spare parts or cars no matter how good the deal:D
Recently made a day trip to check out some great driving roads and possible loop routes on what turned out to be better than expected mountain roads. Taos to Tres Piedras to Abuqui back through Ojo Caliente to Pilar and back to Taos is a fine drive on a bright winter's day;) I had this notion that I would put the GTV away in Nov. and not drive it till May but am glad to say I was mistaken about the short driving season. As long as it's dry and sunny, right?
Yeah, I've already communicated w/ Gordon about a service question and possible short term storage after transport. Currently painting and prepping my little one car garage for the new resident- not our trusty Subaru- but don't tell my wife!

·
Registered
518 Posts
ALFA GUIDATORE - Alfa Owners Club of New Mexico

Here you go.... Thats the newsletter.. Mary Boning sends that out monthly... I've been to a few of the meetings.. usually over dinner at a local place. or a drive to somewhere... .Santa Fe, NABQ, Madrid..etc...
I' keep the 74 GTV at the house under a carport for drives thru the winter when the roads are clear and clean. It's become a '12'Foot' Alfa in the past 5 years.. dings and things... runs great and reliable, likes the cold weather. The others rest or are under construction. I'm 6'4" also.. Fit in th GTV"s fine, the Spiders were more of a lark/opportunity/present for girlfriend who is 5'2" and... well...a woman.... even thrashed, the Spider lit her candles immediately.. so the surprise for her is I have TWO now, hoping to have one painted and on the road this early Spring. Road trip to either Texas wildflower season or back east for a big loop thru Canada... or .. go to Sonic for a Malt... )
The one I found in Taos... Is black. a 79. technically a barn/garage find. A couple of guys that had good intentions, smoked the engine and replaced with a good one, and I think lost interest, saw the costs, and from one or two 'suspicious' fist sized dents on the fenders, might have become a bit frustrated with the car. or not... :) Either way.. It's in my storage/garage, body work mostly done, working on the mechanicals, tinkering, and deciding to keep as a regular Spider for regular things and more of a highway car than the 77 Spider that I've been projecting for 18 months now. Thats on a thread in the Spider section to document. I've watched and learned to not spray threads or ideas around the forum... nuffsaid...:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.