Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I hope I will be able to find with you some ideas in my process of finding what is wrong !!
every inputs are very Welcome :))
Car doesn't start obviously !!

No electricity to both pumps is my main issue

I have sparks ( new coil, new spark plugs )
new pumps both under and tank
Under back seat relays has been BOTH switched from a functioning car, electricity comes to both.

Still no power to the fuel tank pump when I turn the key to crank
What should I look for ?? sensor ?? ignition key ??

Thank you very much !!!

· Registered
5,222 Posts
I would check the back side of the ignition switch terminals. One of them is the start terminal. See if you have power out when you are in start mode. No power, bad switch. Power in crank...need to follow the wiring diagram to see where it goes from there. My bet it is the ignition switch.
Perhaps it is a sensor on the bell housing that has gone bad? You could have power but if the sensors are not pulsing you are not going anywhere.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might be the inertia switch. But if you are getting power to the fuel pump relay, that’s not likely the issue. Have you checked the in-line fuse by the relay?
Might be the inertia switch. But if you are getting power to the fuel pump relay, that’s not likely the issue. Have you checked the in-line fuse by the relay?
Thank you Rich ! Yes I did and it doesn't look to have any issue, power is good before and after the fuse !! What is the inertia switch ??

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would check the back side of the ignition switch terminals. One of them is the start terminal. See if you have power out when you are in start mode. No power, bad switch. Power in crank...need to follow the wiring diagram to see where it goes from there. My bet it is the ignition switch.
Perhaps it is a sensor on the bell housing that has gone bad? You could have power but if the sensors are not pulsing you are not going anywhere.
Thank you Christopher, I am going to check the ignition switch terminals !! I f I have power I am going to follow the wiring diagram.
I noticed that I have no power 12v either when the ignition is on or when I crank at the pink wire on the tank fuel pump, if I bring some electricity from the battery on this Pink wire then I can hear the fuel pump working.
I need to look at where this pink wire come from !!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Christopher, I am going to check the ignition switch terminals !! I f I have power I am going to follow the wiring diagram.
I noticed that I have no power 12v either when the ignition is on or when I crank at the pink wire on the tank fuel pump, if I bring some electricity from the battery on this Pink wire then I can hear the fuel pump working.
I need to look at where this pink wire come from !!
sensor on the bell housing, could you give me some details to locate it please, thank you !!

· Premium Member
2,112 Posts
The flywheel sensors (on the transmission bellhousing) lead to a no-spark condition when they fail. The initial post says there is spark.

The inertia switch is in the engine compartment. It is on the firewall near the windshield washer bottle. It is about the size of a cigarette pack. It is designed to cut power to the fuel pumps in the event of a rollover accident.

· Registered
11,703 Posts
inertia switch is here

bypass it for the moment by simply joining the pink together.

Alfa left this on some early jetronic cars, when in fact it isn't needed as the tachy relay does the job of shutting off pumps in an accident.
Later they bypassed it with a small connector block (and just joined the pink together)
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Automotive design

I have sent you a 'Papajam' quality color wiring diagram for an '84 to your private conversations box (should be identical in many respects to your 83)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
inertia switch is here

bypass it for the moment by simply joining the pink together.

Alfa left this on some early jetronic cars, when in fact it isn't needed as the tachy relay does the job of shutting off pumps in an accident.
Later they bypassed it with a small connector block (and just joined the pink together)
View attachment 1726644
I have sent you a 'Papajam' quality color wiring diagram for an '84 to your private conversations box (should be identical in many respects to your 83)
Thank you very much Dom for the precision, I will process to bypass it and see what happen !!
Best regards
Thierry

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much Dom for the precision, I will process to bypass it and see what happen !!
Best regards
Thierry
This is Awesome !!! the spider is running !! I actually just pressed the reset button on top and I heard the fuel pump running after that !!
Should I just get rid of this switch and bypass it permanently ?!

· Registered
11,703 Posts
This is Awesome !!! the spider is running !! I actually just pressed the reset button on top and I heard the fuel pump running after that !!
Should I just get rid of this switch and bypass it permanently ?!
just to be clear:
you had the key on (KO) and pressed the reset button and the pumps ran?
The pumps only prime for a split second with KO and should only operate when a) cranking or b) the engine is running

If that is the case I suspect your drive/fuel relay is not the expensive original Bosch relay (Bosch # 0 280 230 001), but a cheaper KAE replacement.
The KAEs can just let the pumps run with KO (key on)

In that case keep the inertia switch......you know what to look for when if it trips again (keep a length of wire to jump it in the trunk)....and keeps the engine bay original...plus in a bad accident (God forbid) the inertia will trip and shut off the pumps.:)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just to be clear:
you had the key on (KO) and pressed the reset button and the pumps ran?
The pumps only prime for a split second with KO and should only operate when a) cranking or b) the engine is running

If that is the case I suspect your drive/fuel relay is not the expensive original Bosch relay (Bosch # 0 280 230 001), but a cheaper KAE replacement.
The KAEs can just let the pumps run with KO (key on)

In that case keep the inertia switch......you know what to look for when if it trips again (keep a length of wire to jump it in the trunk)....and keeps the engine bay original...plus in a bad accident (God forbid) the inertia will trip and shut off the pumps.:)
So to bring some precision, I first pressed the reset button then I sat in the car turned the key ( I heard the pump it brought me a smile ) and crank it, it runs perfectly !!

Since the first start I tried few times the car is starting and idling perfectly :)) I don't think I am going to do anything more so far. Here is my guess, I know that my tank fuel pump broke and to be able to restart it after changing this pump, it seems that it was mandatory to reset the inertia switch in order to be able to restart the car ( bring electricity to the tank pump )

Thank you very much Dom and thank you all of you who brought some good energy to resolve my issue !!

Best regards

Thierry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.