Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my first Alfa Spider Veloce - red with tan interior. I have a good black boot but think it would look nifty to have a tan one. So far I have not had any luck. Thoughts?

·
Registered
145 Posts
boot?

do you mean the top? i have a red spider with tan interior. i replaced the top with a cloth tan top from i.a.p. if you are handy you can install it yourself, however it is no easy job!

pjn

·
Registered
532 Posts
Duetto Motors used to sell them for a fairly reasonable price, I thought <$150, but I just checked their site, and they're now between $250 and $300. You'd think they'd be much less than a convertible top, as there's less material, fewer seams, and no window, but who knows why they're so costly? You might try Caribou for something less expensive, but good luck getting anything after Ed's got your credit card number. Perhaps try to have yours duplicated in tan by a local shop?

·
Registered
20 Posts
do you mean the top? i have a red spider with tan interior. i replaced the top with a cloth tan top from i.a.p. if you are handy you can install it yourself, however it is no easy job!

pjn
I just replaced mine as well and agree it is no easy job. BUT the book that IAP gives you with the top is excellent and really makes the whole process doable for those who do not have experience.

Getting the old top off (and all the old contact cement off) was not easy. I bought a gel type contact cement to use on the new top which made the process much easier (no drips on the seats)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Boot?

Do you mean the cover one puts over the folded down top?

I know what you mean with regards to no being able to find a "tan" one.

I've toyed with the idea of using one of the vinyl dyes (spray can) that some have used with sucess, but have figured that it didn't look so bad to have a tan interior, a black boot with the body black as well.

I've seen the vinyl dye used on one of the car shows this weekend and it looks pretty fool proof. One thing that kind of made me shy away from it was not knowing how glossy or flat the finish would be once done. A guy on TV showed to lessen the gloss lightly rub the piece once it's dried with some very fine ScotchBrite abrasive pad.

Do a Google for "vinly dye" and you'll see a lot of info, and even some co's that offer customer colors made to match.

I've seen it on the shelf at the chain parts stores in limited colors ie black, sand, white.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Vinyl Dye

I used vinyl dye that I bought from leathermagic.com to refinish the seats, door panels, etc. in my MG Midget. Their color selection is huge, and they can even match any sample you send them if no stock color is acceptable to you. It is applied by foam rubber brush. It takes a few coats but works wonderfully and is easy to apply. The 30 year old vinyl seats look great and are now just as soft as new. Unfortunately the seats in my Alfas are beyond this and will require new coverings when I get to that point in my restoration...

-Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts