Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a photo of what the tan/brown carpet looked like when it was brand new? Maybe someone can scan in a brochure or old photo?

I'd really appreciate it. My new Spider has a tan interior, but the carpet (like so many other S3 Spiders) has faded to an orange/brown/tan mix. My car is better than many, but it's still not right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Oddly, my carpet is entirely orange, even under the seats (as far as I can tell). Yet the trunk is brown. Same color as the trunk?

A shame this carpet faded and is so hard to replace.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, here's a shot of my car's interior... don't mind the mess, the car arrived last night and I haven't had a chance to clean it up. This was at my insurance agent's office.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 1988 Spider Veloce that had the "brown" carpet. When I got the car a few months ago it too was a wierd sort of orange color, it looked lousy. I took everything out of the interior and replaced it with a one piece black carpet from International Auto. It was a real pita but it looks great now. The old carpet was in around 6 or 7 pieces and was glued to the panels on the sides of the console. I peeled it off, used goo gone to get the glue off, ran some 000 steel wool over the plastic and painted them black with plastic paint. I also had to fill in some screw holes with a glue gun prior to painting. Not a job I want to do again anytime soon but it was worth it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hooligan,
My carpet had turned to the same orange as yours and the car only had 23k miles on it. The problem you will have is finding a molded set in any color other than black.

I bought my "tan" (actually saddle in color) from Re-Originals: Carpet set: pre-molded one piece floors, carpeted... - U0001/CBT - U0001/CBT

This is the only other color that I have been able to find in a molded set.
I originally was going to buy this and dye it a darker brown, but found some leather hide at an upholstery shop that was a perfect match without dyeing and redid the seats and doors in matching leather.

Before and after:
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/396636-post78.html

p.s. Get ready to dig into your wallet for a molded set. IAP and Re-Originals want >$700 for them. For IAP, you have to buy (2) parts, main and parcel shelf. For Re-Originals, its all in one kit.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Oh, here's a shot of my car's interior... don't mind the mess, the car arrived last night and I haven't had a chance to clean it up. This was at my insurance agent's office.
Hooligan,
That faded orange color is in fact what should be a brown color. The trunk carpet color is the original color...

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. SteveD: your door panels don't have carpet on them, do they? My '87's panels do... and that's one of my biggest concerns, figuring out what to do there so I can ensure I have matching carpet. Ah, we'll see...

Thanks for the PMs, zunige and kunzman. Got back to both of you. I think I will look into dying the carpet first, although I do like the idea of disassembling the interior to clean it all out. We'll see...

·
Registered
103 Posts
No, my door panels do not have carpet on them, tan leather with a separate balck vinyl piece that includes the fold out storage compartments and speakers. Like Kunzman says, the one piece molded carpet isn't cheap. I never found the saddle one he did, I got the black at IAP. Originally, I was trying to find something tan but now that I have the black I am glad that is what I got. Hell, after all the work involved I would probably be glad with green if that was what I had put in.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, my door panels do not have carpet on them, tan leather with a separate balck vinyl piece that includes the fold out storage compartments and speakers. Like Kunzman says, the one piece molded carpet isn't cheap. I never found the saddle one he did, I got the black at IAP. Originally, I was trying to find something tan but now that I have the black I am glad that is what I got. Hell, after all the work involved I would probably be glad with green if that was what I had put in.
Ah, I should have looked at my site (alfajournal.com... way outdated). My timeilne lists changes to S3 Spiders - thanks to BB members. '87 was the last year for my door panels. Yours have speakers where mine have carpet.

·
Banned
129 Posts
Does anyone know if the series 3 or 4 molded carpets will fit the series 2 floor pan.
If so who supplies the carpets - I have a rear seat in mine.
Not well. The shape of the tunnel is very different in the S3/4 from the S2. The door sills are different, too. There may be other issues, but those are the most obvious ones.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Does anyone know if the series 3 or 4 molded carpets will fit the series 2 floor pan.
If so who supplies the carpets - I have a rear seat in mine.
Several suppliers (World Upholstery, Centerline, etc.) provide carpets specifically made for series 2 Spiders, and these replace the OEM rubber material very nicely.

Best regards,

·
Registered
134 Posts
My carpet did the fade out too. After finding that I couldn't get a molded set in the right color I started experimenting. I removed the seats and trim, got some chocolate brown rit dye, mixed it strong, dabbed it into the carpet with a sponge and let it dry in the summer Colorado sun. I can't say it is perfect but it put back about ten years of color. You could probably do this with real carped dye too but this was cheaper and easier for me to handle. I figure this will work until someone gets arround to making a brown molded carpet set.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Are these also molded to fit or only in the 5 - 6 section pieces.
I don't believe they are of the single piece molded type, but the fit is perfect. Furthermore, earlier Spiders that came with factory carpet were also not fitted with the molded variety, but rather with the section piece variety.

Best regards,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts