Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my springs off my car and did not pay much attention to the plastic tubing around the lower portion until I decided to clean the springs. I cut the tubing off and surprise, surprise here came the rust. So I thought that I would give everyone a heads up to check their springs. I don't think the damage is terminal but I think I'll replace them anyway. I'll call Centerline tomorrow it's their turn for my business.

·
Registered
27 Posts
How much time does a spring job take?

I am seriously considering replacing the front & rear springs on my '83 Spider likely with the Centerline springs as I intend on retaining the existing sway bars & shocks.

Can this be done in an 8 hour day by a reasonably able person? I imagine I will need to borrow an external spring compressor?

Any other "special" tools or suprises I may encounter?

Thx, Matt

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah some kinda tubing .... there was an earlier post about what its purpose may be. Anyway, I figured if none of the other springs I've ever seen didn't have them it should be safe to take them off. Thats when I spotted the rust. Not just surface either, some of the metal is pitted.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
@ backfeeder:

Haven't seen it but can imagine what you describe.

Sometimes used to cut down on squeek noise, other times to help prevent corrosive stuff (road salt, etc) from sticking directly onto the springs.

@ 510rcr:

You can do the springs in 8 hours pretty easily unless somethings really frozen or breaks. (shock won't come loose or things like that)

External spring compressor won't work as there's just no room.

At the rear it'll be more or less uncoupling one trailing arm at the diff and lowering it, then putting it back and doing the other.

Up front you can use Alfa special tool # whateveritis, or you can use threaded rods.

There's several threads for doing both ends w/pix in this and the suspension subsection to give you an idea.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Arden,

My new 1971 1750 Spider had the plastic tubing at the lower ends of the rear springs, and one spring actually fractured from rust damage inside the tubing (this was when I only had one Alfa and it was my daily driver in summer and winter).

BTW, nice concept about cycling business among the Alfa parts suppliers. We need to keep all of these guys in business...

I have my springs off my car and did not pay much attention to the plastic tubing around the lower portion until I decided to clean the springs. I cut the tubing off and surprise, surprise here came the rust. So I thought that I would give everyone a heads up to check their springs. I don't think the damage is terminal but I think I'll replace them anyway. I'll call Centerline tomorrow it's their turn for my business.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah George, thats what bothered me about keeping the old springs. I could just imagine myself hitting a good bump and then snap! during a long trip.
Tifosi, sorry didn't think to take a pic before performing car surgery. Like George says its was probably there to stop squeaks but that point is moot now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey Alfisti, heres one for the frugal minded mechanic. I once cut a pair of Ford F 150 truck springs down to proper hieght and after one shortening session, had the sucker hugging the road better than new. I had Koni's in the front and a good gas shock in the back. Later when the car was at the end of its service life ( rust ) I held up that pair of springs next to a pair of "performance" springs, they were nearly identical in design (thickness). So nothing is set in stone when it comes to this area. Also, I had a bad ball joint, after cleaning out the grease and any foriegn smegma, melted some teflon into the cup and allowed it to cool. After greasing and a makeshift rubber boot. That ball joint was as tight as any other and is still in service after 5 or 6 years. Just a couple of solutions for those of you that would rather not spend the coin. Cheers!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crazy like a fox ... but I like mad matty better!
Thinking outside the box or in this case outside the factory.
I like your ideas!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts