Premium Member
27,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Top Gear Talking about selling an Alfa

Which car do you most regret selling?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Selling my GTV6 was the worst car decision I made. I still have my 164 plus a bunch of parts I took off another one. Won't be selling the 164, she'll just eventually stop running.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Well, my 86 GTV6 was the best GTV6 I owned, and it did run very well. I do remember a very fast drive on a very curvy one way back road around Mt St Helens. On and off the gas and brakes, up to almost redline and back. That was a good run, a fine Alfa run.

Of course, after I first drove the 91S, with that wonderful engine, I eventually sold that pristine GTV6 to the dealer for his son, as we had decided that the body style (2 door, clumsy/heavy back lid) wasn't practical enough to be used as my go to work daily driver. Probably should have kept it but I don't regret replacing it with the 164, though.

The Alfa I regret selling the most was my original one, the 64 Sprint GT. Should have kept that and restored it, as it was still quite clean, with no rust at all after 260k miles.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great link, thanks! I would love to have a GTV6 but there are so many cars and so little time. I have owned well over 200 cars in my life strange I have not had one of these! Maybe The Nissan 300zx TT will have to go...

·
Premium Member
27,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I had an 86 GTV6 I traded even a 80 El Camino for it. It was probably the worse Alfa I ever had. Had L-jetronic issues that took me forever to sort out and then I dropped lower half of an intake valve guide at about 80 mph. Ended up putting in a spare 85 short block and 87 Milano heads and finally sold car on ebay. Was pretty well sorted by then but it was not the Alfa of my dreams.

I had an 85 GTV6 that came to me with a nice strong 83 engine in it but the tin worms had done a number on both the front and rear of the body. I sold it with all the front and rear clips off the 83 to fix body. I thnk new owner Rich and his welder buddy John made a failrly decent car out of the parts.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I lost a 164S to rust and am losing an 81 GTV6 the same way.

But I replaced the S with a 95LS that is really wonderful. It had some rust underneath, but that has been addressed. Anyone who tells you their Alfa is rust-free is lying.

And I also bought an 85 GTV6 to replace the 81. Also need to fix up the 69 spider bought to replace my first Alfa, a 1979 Spider. The 79 really wasn't worth fixing, so of course I had to buy a 69 in even worse shape that is.

Winter is hard, as the only Alfa we have on the road now is daughter's Vivid Blue 164L bought from Steve. It stalled on her yesterday and she couldn't get it to restart. Of course, it started right up for me. Started for her this morning and took her to school. The throttle cable needs replaced as the throttle sticks open. New cable expected today for appointment tomorrow, but haven't seen it yet.

Rex

Attachments

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
...Anyone who tells you their Alfa is rust-free is lying...
Uh nope Rex, my black '91S has absolutely no rust anywhere and the only rust on my red one is confined to the steel bar at the bottom of the front grill.

I sold two Alfas - my GTV6 which had succumbed to rust and was unsalvageable and my Alfetta Coupe that I do kinda regret letting go but gotta draw the line somewhere.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Saw a GTV6 parked in front of the pub I go to last night. Made me miss mine just a bit. At least I know a forum member owns it now and enjoys it still. But of all the ones I've owned it might be my Milano that i miss the most. When it drove right it was blissful. Then it fell apart in many ways.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Uh nope Rex, my black '91S has absolutely no rust anywhere and the only rust on my red one is confined to the steel bar at the bottom of the front grill.

I sold two Alfas - my GTV6 which had succumbed to rust and was unsalvageable and my Alfetta Coupe that I do kinda regret letting go but gotta draw the line somewhere.
My silver 164L has zero rust. It's been a California car it's whole life so that has a lot to do with it.

·
Premium Member
27,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My 81 Alfa Spider was 100% rust free and from Pittsburgh but the original owner never even drove it in the rain in the summertime. Why or why did I sell it? It is hidden out somewhere here in VB now with a local DR also with a Concours Pantera and a Restored 850 Fiat Spider.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
My 81 Alfa Spider was 100% rust free and from Pittsburgh but the original owner never even drove it in the rain in the summertime. Why or why did i sell it? It is hidden out somewhere here in VB now with a local DR also with a Concours Pantera and a Restored 850 Fiat Spider.
Even my 84 GTV6 was rust free. The first owner had the whole under carriage coated the second day he had it. I sold it to member Dimitris in Greece and he brought it in to re paint it and his body guy said he had never seen a GTV6 without rust before :laugh2:

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
The only Alfa we owned that rusted was the 75 Sedan (lived two years in the DC area). Bad, bad, bad. All the others, no rust in most cases, only a little on one or two where the window trim clips cut through the paint and caused a little galvanic corrosion due to the stainless window trim, taken care of quickly. The Sprint GT, the two GTV6's, the 78 Sedan and GT, the Milano, and the two 164s were/are otherwise totally rust free. Seattle has proven to be a great place to own and drive an Alfa if you are worried about rust. They just don't unless they have been mistreated, IMO, based on ~48 years of ownership.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Non chi credo!

It's there, you just haven't looked carefully.

Unless you limit your definition of "rust" to major perforation damage.

Steve: I know why you sold it. Does the word "monofarfel" mean anything to you?

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
"It's there, you just haven't looked carefully."

Nope, trust me, you are mistaken. You just live in an area where they use enough salt in the winter to eat up cars, so that is pretty much all you are used to seeing. Been there, done that, as they say.

New York conditions do not represent the entire country. This area, among others, on the other hand is known for having many older cars of all makes in great condition.

·
Premium Member
27,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Non chi credo!

It's there, you just haven't looked carefully.
Nope. Don't call me a liar or insinuate I don't know what I'm talking about. There is no rust period. Do you have much experience with California cars? It's common for them to be completely rust free even after 30 years or more

My Spider has/had rust but it sat outside on the street without so much as a carport to cover it for the first 10 years I owned it. Had a leaky top so most of the rust was in the floorpans.

·
Registered
464 Posts
My '84 GTV6 is perfectly rust-free, confirmed by my Alfa mechanic. It had been a Florida car before becoming part of a large stable of cars to an owner in Canada who, judging from condition and the Carfax mileage history, hardly drove it. As well, I'm about to pick up an '81 from Heavy Metal Glenn which is perfectly rust-free (I've seen it). Was driven in Texas for six years before sitting until now due to an interrupted/unfinished engine conversion. Always sat in a garage. Even the various fasteners lack the normally ubiquitous patina of rust that nearly all cars normally develop.

Before that the 164Q was absolutely rust-free. Was an Oklahoma car and then a southern MS car all its life. I really really regret letting that car go. As close to an as-new car that wasn't bought new that I've ever owned; incredible for a twenty year old car. Having two GTV6s is nice (will let the '86 go after I get the '81 with the 3.0) but better would have been the Q and a GTV6 to go with it. That Q was the best all-around car of the nearly thirty cars I've owned. It was a premature attempt at growing up I think; should have kept it anyway, I would have eventually grown into it. At any rate, it's now in Dallas, staying rust-free no doubt.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I am very happy for all of you. I still believe that on any vehicle made of steel, rust is always a question of degree. Close to zero, sure. Absolute zero, like zero degrees Kelvin, is achievable in theory but very difficult in reality.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
Your argument would be more relevant if you were talking about something which would be noticeable within that part of our lifetimes, the time span which we actually own one of these cars long term. In my case 25 years for the 89 Milano so far, in our area of the country, with years to go. Same for the 91 and 94 164s. I am quite confident that I will see no corrosion beyond the microscopic/atomic level in my lifetime based upon my previous experience.

Your premise is more like trying to read a slide rule reading to 5 decimal places, lol, as we used to see with newbies at work. Not relevant for many areas of the country.

It is a real shame that salt is used to such an extent to cause owners in those areas such grief with their cars, as well as the damage done to the highway infrastructures and environment, a result of the very strong salt mine lobbies in those areas according to a University study done years ago, the study concluding that the infrastructure and environmental damage was far more significant than the positive aspects of salt use.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts