Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

So I have removed my center console to change out the shift boot and I noticed something quite strange. On the part at the front that is normally concealed underneath the radio I found this pile of sludge/goop with a piece of tape on it? I am very confused. Is this normal? I am hesitant to remove it because it is either there for a reason, or it may be some kind of toxic something that should be removed very carefully. Any advice is very much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,307 Posts
Gino was assembling your console and had a blob of windshield sealant on his bench, but knew "THE BOSS" was coming by soon for a workspace inspection. Since he had it on a piece of paper, he KNEW he had to either stick it on the assembly line ceiling, or figure out how to dispose of it without notice. Then, as fortune would have it, YOUR car rolled up on the assembly line. PROBLEM SOLVED! That's my story and I'm sticking (pun) with it.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I'm with Gordon on this one. It's like finding a coke bottle inside the door of a detroit assembled vehicle. It's not toxic and you don't need it. Scrape it off and finish the repair.

Bye

·
Administrator
14,469 Posts
Maybe they had squeaks or rattle complaints and that was the solution?
Pete

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can clearly see a black line on the plastic, under that goop, seems to me someone went a little overboard on repairing a crack in that plastic piece. the bigger the glob, the better the job as they say.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahahaha! Thank you for the answers guys. These made my day! If it is to repair a crack in the plastic I'll just leave it there and clean up around the edges. And actually, I do have another question. Currently I have a shifter rattle. While I have the console off I thought I would try and see if it was loose on top, but there is a rubber boot covering the stick, Doesn't seem like the kind of part that just pulls off. How do I get past it? Do I just cut a hole in it or is there a proper way to remove it? If anyone knows, I would be thankful to learn myself. Thanks!

·
Registered
1988 Verde
165 Posts
Right. Go under the car and remove the heat shield. Unbolt the bottom of the shifter, remove it and remove the bushing. You may have to drill or pressout the old bushing. I did. Install new and there you go.

·
Premium Member
16,707 Posts
Taking apart an old Singer roadster, I found a Whitworth wrench in one of the doors behind the panel. Might still have it somewhere.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,621 Posts
Rattle is caused by the bushing under the car
On the end of the rod
It can also be from the isostatic linkage at the rear. If the parts wear there you can get a rattle that transmits up through the rod into the shifter.

But start with the shifter bushing from under your car. You can access it by removing the heat shield over the cat. If you're lucky it just needs some grease, a couple new o-rings, and some tightening. Use some blue loctite to keep the nut from vibrating loose.

·
Administrator
14,469 Posts
Taking apart an old Singer roadster, I found a Whitworth wrench in one of the doors behind the panel. Might still have it somewhere.
I found a tool in the boot of my 156v6 under the right hand trim, but probably just the previous owners
Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts