Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just whet out to look at "new" used cars for my daughter. Went to a local dealership that had a car on "sale" that she was interersted in. The salesman showed us an overpriced Olds Alero. Although a nice car, he totally lied about the car being in an accident. (checked Carfax when we got home and it had been in an accident although the saleman said that this was the first thing they checked and only kept cars that had clear Carfax titles)!

Needless to say that we will not be buying this car. But the interesting thing about this sale was when the salesman asked me what I thought about this car. When I told him it was "no Alfa" and drove up in a 164Q, he didn't even question my comment. While I realize that most used car salesman have no idea what an Alfa is, it suprised me that he didn't even have the gumption to check on the car that I drove in if he didn't have a clue as to what it was while we were out driving the car we were interested in buying. At least he would have known that it was a rare car and that I obviously knew something about cars other than they can get you from point A to B.

So if you are thinking about purchasing a "mainstream" used car in the future, perhaps you should drive in in your Alfa, just to see what kind of rise it raises in the salesperson!

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Similar Experience

I had a similar experience last week at the local Mitsubishi dealer, where I stopped in to look at the new Lancer that will be the basis of the Evo X. My wife is always pressing me to get rid of my Alfa's and get an "ordinary" car. I'm not sure if an Evo X is "ordinary" or if I would let my 95 LS go, but it would make a cool winter beater if/when Alfa fails to get back to the US market by 2010.

Anyway, I'm in there looking at the car and the sales dude is all pretending to be a big rally buff, but has obviously never even heard of an Alfa Romeo or Lancia. I guess this is what you have to expect.

As to taking the car in part exchange, I doubt any dealer worth its salt would be interested taking a 12 year old car that was orphaned by its manufacturer 12 years ago in trade. Based on what it cost me to get mine running right, I would never take one in part exchange for a working car on the theory that I could resell it to someone for a profit.

Rex

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not mean to imply that I was interested in selling my Alfa to Dealer!

What I found interesting, is that even if the "salesperson" saw me drive up in an obviously "different" car, they did not take advantage of that fact to engage me in the sale. If I drove up in a Alfa of any type, but particulariy a 164 that is "old school" mainstream, if the salesperson doen't even ask about what I was driving, althouht it is obvious that it is not your normal "trade-in" I get concerned about whether they are a "salepeson" or a "car person!" I don't expect that they wll offer to buy my car on a trade-in (as if I would sell it anyway!), but that they would realize that the person they are dealing with is not your normal car buyer. They should be able to realize that anyone purchasing such a "strange" car as an Alfa is not your normal car buyer and has some sense about what cars are really about.

I was distressed when the salesperson did not even aknowledge that I drove a unique car that obviously indicated that I knew something about cars in general, but performance cars in particular! After all, why would I purchase such a unique car. I isn't like I was just crusing the used car lots one day and saw a 164Q (or whatevever Alfa) and decided to purhase it.

Of course, I may be influeneced by the fact that this "saleperson" didn't even know what platforms GM shared between their various divisions (this was at a GM (Pontiac) dealership. He showed us an Old Alero and didn't kow if it was the same platform as the Grand Am or the Grand Prix. His salses manager did know, as did I, so I can only hope that he got his a** reamed by the sales manager after we left.)

It just goes to show that the "modern" car salesperson could be selling freezers at Sear's as well as cars. After all, they are just basic commedities that we need but don't give a rat's A** about!

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Anyway, I'm in there looking at the car and the sales dude is all pretending to be a big rally buff, but has obviously never even heard of an Alfa Romeo or Lancia. I guess this is what you have to expect...
That's depressing, but it's not surprising. Lancia last won the WRC in 1992 (the last year of 6 in a row), after which the manufacturer's title went to only the Japanese or the French until Ford took it last year.

So your 'sales dude' could have followed the WRC for 5-10 years without having a clue that Lancia won it 11 times since 1970--more than twice as many times as anyone else (your salesman's Mitsubishis won the manufacturer's title exactly once). And, of course, Alfa has never factored into the WRC.

The Audi Quattro won only 2 WRC titles, but they're still selling cars here and they feature the Quattro Sport in some TV ads, so I'll bet your salesman actually associates Audi with rallies, despite the fact that he was probably in kindergarten the last time they won--in 1984.

In other words, no presence, no past. As I said, depressing but not surprising.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
... guess what i do for a living......i sell cars. mazda, subaru,hyundai...some of us are nice guys and a few..few and far between are 'car guys'...and yes i know some car salespeople are rude and jurks... i work with a couple...try not to engage withe them on any subject...sorry for yoour experance..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would think it would be like when you work in the chocolate factory after a while you get tired of chocolate.

You would just see so many cars when you get home you want to just not look at another car.I can see why you would drive an Alfa though as it is not your average vehicle.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Not surprised at all. Most car salespeople are in sales, not cars. A few are, but not many. I don't bring an Alfa EVER.........too many people think it's expensive and then the sales person will never believe my "I'm poor" story!!:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
But does it have a crisper for crispy things?

It just goes to show that the "modern" car salesperson could be selling freezers at Sear's as well as cars.
"This unit here keeps all your food cold for $600. This one over here keeps all your food cold for $800. And this one, $1200, it keeps all your food cold."

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
GM guys and others

I'd wager that a GM salesperson would be the least likely salesperson to be a car guy. At least that's what I've encountered.
The PO of my GTV is a GM salesman, and he didn't own this Alfa by accident. Back when I bought it he had two GTV's: one of the best low mileage GTV's I have seen, and a beater he used on track days; plus a GTV6 street car. He recently sold a GTV6 track car on the classified section of the BB.

I guess there are exceptions to every rules.

When I started shopping as a car crazy teenager, I was very surprised to find out that most salesmen are not interested in anything on wheels once it's outside the showroom.

Another exception was a salesman at a Fiat/Saab/BMW dealership near a place where I had a summer job (ages ago - have you seen Fiat dealers recently). He saw my GT Junior parked outside, which led him to tell me he owned a Lancia Fulvia, and invited me to join a local vintage car club. 30 years later he is no longer a car salesman, but we still are members of the same club and both own GTV's!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I prefer the opposite...

I rather enjoy taking my truck when looking at Alfas on used car lots. Act dumb (not difficult for me;)), try to find out how much (usually little) the salesperson knows about the "cute lil' red convertible" s/he's trying to sell. Wait until late in the investigation to casually reach onto the door jamb and pop the trunk latch (preferably after you've asked him/her how to open the trunk). :p
Then leave, knowing you have educated just one more person in the nuances of fine automobile ownership. :cool:

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
I rather enjoy taking my truck when looking at Alfas on used car lots. Act dumb (not difficult for me;)), try to find out how much (usually little) the salesperson knows about the "cute lil' red convertible" s/he's trying to sell. Wait until late in the investigation to casually reach onto the door jamb and pop the trunk latch (preferably after you've asked him/her how to open the trunk). :p
Then leave, knowing you have educated just one more person in the nuances of fine automobile ownership. :cool:

Not exactly the same story line but recently when I had one of my 164s run through state inspection, I had to show the inspector how to turn on the fog lights and open the gas filler door so he could verify I had fog lights working and a sealed gas cap.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Seeing as my Milano was my daily for shy of two years, I had several similar experiences.

1) A friend of mine and I went to the Chrysler dealer, pulled up in the Milano.. the salesmen asked if it was a Giulietta. Turns out he was from the Netherlands and his parents had an 80's Giulietta.

2) A Ford salesman wanted to buy it. Thanks but no thanks.

3) A State Street type of dealer had one of the salesmen staring at it, circling it.. didn't say a word though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts