Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: The Spider has been "sold" and will be moving off to a new home. Thanks for your interest.

Greetings: I bought this on eBay 18 months ago. Likely my last automobile purchase on eBay, because it was so badly misrepresented. I did not know that till I spent $$$ shipping it from the south and we dragged it off the trailer. eBay looked like they were going to help, but only managed to stall me 30 days so I could not leave negative feedback.

I'd just have this towed away to the recycler, but perhaps someone could use the surviving body parts, engine and tranny. I've pulled off the rear end, and will be keeping it for the LSD pack. While I have spent time disassembling this, just about everything pulled off was decrepit. Enough!

Well, I did snag a windshield in great condition! Expensive windshield.

I have not noted any significant collision damage front or rear, but the rust is extensive. I'm thinking it was left in an open, wet field for 10 years.

Bring a trailer and a $10 bill.

Regards,
Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How was it represented on eBay? Did you save any of those pictures & the description?
The car was sold for parts only, because it did not run. The seller could not get "The injection timing belt" on correctly, after head work. The head work turned out to be a 10" run of TIG weld to seal up a fracture.

I was told there was only rust on the back edge of the trunk lid. I was told they would bleed the brakes to be sure they worked when unloading: they were rusted on solid- needed to be dragged on and off the trailer. I was told the interior was great, and the photos seemed to display that. Only the dash was obscured by "sunlight" in the ad photos - it is actually in shambles.

I have every reason to believe the photos, which looks pretty good, were from long ago. There is a registration sticker decal on the front window that looks fine in the photo. It is now almost completely faded away. The rear bumper looks clean in the photos, but was loose and battered when received. And the wheels - yes, they seemed ok on the outside, but were so badly rusted, three hold no air.

I was told there were "a set of keys". All I got was a fob and a duplicate ignition key. No door/glovebox/trunk key, so those pieces are worthless. Full disclosure: My photos showed what was UNDER the matting. The driver's seat was held up at one corner by a piece of 2x4. The rocker on the passenger side had a piece of a diamond welding gas warning sign embedded in it to shore up the bondo that was liberally applied.

Adding insult to injury, there was a shill bidder driving the price up - only a few bids in the previous month and all with the same seller. One of the reasons why I am so disgruntled with eBay is that years ago (when I did everything on eBay) all bidders were transparent- you could see what they bought and sold for the past year - with links to their actual bid activity and the items they bought or sold (live links). Now all one gets is a count of bids in the past 30 days and the category they bid on. No indication if they ever BOUGHT anything. I am currently thrilled with BAT, as you can't bid there without putting money on the table.

At one point, eBay assured me they would get me a full refund, but eventually they denied it. And I was not looking to sink big money into shipping it back on my dime.

Just me being sloppy, even though I spoke with the seller on several occasions to get a feel for the product.

Photos below from the auction listing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Just another example how a non-runner is almost worthless and should be priced accordingly. Also must assume that the injection pump is shot on a Spica car, and MUST assume extensive rust unless inspected personally. Seller's descriptions and claims mean (drum roll please) . . . . nothing.

My personal experience with Alfa sellers has been poor as well.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
I'll take it - PM sent.

BTW, my first eBay buy was a '71 Spider. Got it here and when I opened both doors the the car folded in half - it was that badly rusted. Was furious until I noticed that it had rare magnesium wheels - sold them for more than what I paid for the car.

Second eBay buy was a '71 GTV - one owner, 50k miles. The pictures were a little out of focus and odd shadows but I was convinced it was a great car. When it arrived I realized that it was literally painted with a roller and the shadows in the pictures strategically hid massive dents. Was furious until the transport driver, not knowing the car didn't have brakes rolled it down the ramp into a parked car and totalled it. His insurance paid off twice what I paid for the car...

IDK, eBay has worked out pretty well for me...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take it - PM sent.

BTW, my first eBay buy was a '71 Spider. Got it here and when I opened both doors the the car folded in half - it was that badly rusted. Was furious until I noticed that it had rare magnesium wheels - sold them for more than what I paid for the car.

Second eBay buy was a '71 GTV - one owner, 50k miles. The pictures were a little out of focus and odd shadows but I was convinced it was a great car. When it arrived I realized that it was literally painted with a roller and the shadows in the pictures strategically hid massive dents. Was furious until the transport driver, not knowing the car didn't have brakes rolled it down the ramp into a parked car and totalled it. His insurance paid off twice what I paid for the car...

IDK, eBay has worked out pretty well for me...
Grand move, but I would hardly dare to suggest the car is worth the shipping to Michigan - unless you have an uncle in the business.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I understand your frustration. At this point, strip it for parts. Those stainless bumpers are worth about $1000 front and rear. New ones are $3000. I paid $125 for a decent wood steering wheel and $100 for a speedometer for mine. How are the door handles and top? I would take the top off, frame and all and hang on to it; someone might want it. If the seat pans are good someone might want those too. In fact I need those.

I'll tell you what happened to this car. It was sitting outside, "protected" by a plastic tarp, which held in moisture. The owner got a nasty surprise when he pulled back the tarp and got a look at his once decent Spider. The only thing worse is storing it at the bottom of a river.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/giulietta-giulia-1954-65/443609-rust-peace.html

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Sorry to hear about the trouble.

As a general rule, I would shy away from listing photos where the seller has not bothered to do basic clean up to make the car presentable. If the seller couldn't even wipe the leaves off, that's a big red flag in my book.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Had a similar experience buying a car off of Craigslist in Connecticut and assumed I would have had more recourse if I had used eBay. Evidently it doesn't matter where you find a less than honest seller, if you can't see the car in person good chance you're going to get screwed. Have heart, some day you'll look back at this and laugh, or maybe just sigh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts