Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get my exhaust tailpipe to sit nicely into the cutout in the rear valence.

The final section of pipe which exits the rear silencer has a slight bend downwards in it about half way along (where the chroming starts). So, does anybody know if this is how it's supposed to be, or should it be straight???

Dan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It depends on the year. If it's an 84 like mine it is curved downward. Later spiders were staight. Older spider were curved up. What year is your spider?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it can be straight, bent up or bent down? Now, this kind of stuff is why I vowed never to buy another french car!

My alfa's a '77 model. I'll go with the bend supposed to be there - the support strap at the rear doesn't look too clever. I didn't want to modify the strap just to find out the fault was with the tailpipe.

Thanks for the reply.

Dan.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Pre-spoiler Kamm tail spiders (< 1983) came from the factory with the tailpipe tip curved downward. This was to keep the exhaust fumes from being sucked into the trunk by the aerodynamic effect of the Kamm tail. Round tail 105's had an angled tailpipe similar to a 105/115 GT. 101's and 750's had straight tips. Not sure about 1983 and newer Spiders...

HTH,

·
Registered
28 Posts
I am having this exact problem. It seems my 69 1750 Spider is sucking fumes into the trunk and these are getting into the passenger compartment.

Not having an original exhaust I am not sure what was the original pipe, however I'd love to know which muffler/ pipe combination I can buy that will eliminate the problem altogether. I'm choking to death it seems.

Ciao!

JF

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Welcome to the BB JF.
A friend of mine has an original (35k miles) '69 Duetto and the tailpipe is a single, chrome tip outlet, parallel to the ground and with a slight bend to the left as viewed from the rear. If the entire exhaust system is in good shape and with no leaks, I would check the trunk gasket and trunk lid alignment. Has the car ever been hit in the rear?
In other words, the problem may not be the tailpipe.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just a little touch. but I think I have a good seal and fit now. It did no damage to the body but the lid got a tiny crease that you can see if you look really close.

It could also be that the trunk seal. I am considering replacing the muffler as it is showing signs of surface rust and it just looks bad on an otherwise nice looking car. Thing is you just don't run to midas and say slap one on with a 1750 or you choke till you replace it.

JF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts