Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The electronic tachometer in my 1982 Spider does not work properly. No matter what the rpm’s of the engine, the tach will read between five and twenty thousand rpm’s. Any suggestions on what to check would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Addendum: I have searched the site and don’t see any thread specific to this issue.

·
Administrator
17,030 Posts
I don't know anything about the internals of the tach but I do know it gets its signal via a (white?) wire at the coil. I'd start by removing the wires at the coil, cleaning all the terminals and re-securing them.

If that doesn't help (it can't hurt) then I suspect you'll need to replace the tach or send it to an instrument rebuilder for repairs. I've used West Valley Instruments for some MG instruments and was pleased with their quick turn around and reasonable price.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know anything about the internals of the tach but I do know it gets its signal via a (white?) wire at the coil. I'd start by removing the wires at the coil, cleaning all the terminals and re-securing them.

If that doesn't help (it can't hurt) then I suspect you'll need to replace the tach or send it to an instrument rebuilder for repairs. I've used West Valley Instruments for some MG instruments and was pleased with their quick turn around and reasonable price.
Thanks! I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: The tach has been rebuilt and still does not work. There is a reading on the tach, but it’s much lower than the actual rpm’s. Any ideas on what to check?

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
not much else to check...the white tach wire on the coil gives it the signal
and a pink is power...as it works at all they must be good
then it has to be the tach itself.

they obviously half fixed something, as it has gone from reading 20,000 rpm (how does it do that!?) to under-reading......
underreading by how much? how are you testing that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Typo in my original post. It’s always been consistently low in reading rpm’s. I’ve done no testing. Don’t know what to check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts