Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to fixing my heat-curled tach needle! Instead of reviving old posts from the site, I thought I post the information I gathered from them,with results. Previous posters talked about using this:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/evg/evg292

I did,and found it is readily available at model train shops. I purchased mine from a brick store in Burbank,CA for $2.99. The profile and look of the styrene strip is uncanny to the original needle. This is what I did:

-removed the tach from the dash and disconnect plug (4 long screws:2 minutes!)
-gently uncurled the needle tip using tweezers (to measure)
-measured the needle length (tip to end) with my digital micrometer (my needle measured 36.55mm and had not been previously cut)
-cut the old needle back to inner bezel/circle with double edged razor blade (any small sharp tool will work)
-cut a styrene strip to size. I elected to shape the end to a point...it actually looks good squared also!
-applied thin layer of super glue to the old needle
-affixed the new styrene needle onto the old needle, lining it up with the rear of the old needle. The profile of the new fits over the old
-carefully and gently pressed the new needle for a few seconds for adhesion (I used a QTip)
-reassemble

Don't worry about cutting wrong. There is enough materiel to make at least 16-20 needles!! Next...the speedometer

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Finally got around to fixing my heat-curled tach needle! Instead of reviving old posts from the site, I thought I post the information I gathered from them,with results. Previous posters talked about using this:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/evg/evg292

I did,and found it is readily available at model train shops. I purchased mine from a brick store in Burbank,CA for $2.99. The profile and look of the styrene strip is uncanny to the original needle. This is what I did:

-removed the tach from the dash and disconnect plug (4 long screws:2 minutes!)
-gently uncurled the needle tip using tweezers (to measure)
-measured the needle length (tip to end) with my digital micrometer (my needle measured 36.55mm and had not been previously cut)
-cut the old needle back to inner bezel/circle with double edged razor blade (any small sharp tool will work)
-cut a styrene strip to size. I elected to shape the end to a point...it actually looks good squared also!
-applied thin layer of super glue to the old needle
-affixed the new styrene needle onto the old needle, lining it up with the rear of the old needle. The profile of the new fits over the old
-carefully and gently pressed the new needle for a few seconds for adhesion (I used a QTip)
-reassemble

Don't worry about cutting wrong. There is enough materiel to make at least 16-20 needles!! Next...the speedometer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts