Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the dash is out of my car it would be a good time to try to fix the tacho flutter. The needle flutters wildly at tick over and settles when the engine is running faster than about 1500rpm.

Does anyone know if this is likely to be an easy fix or does it indicate a rebuild needed? The cable runs freely. I've looked on the internet by doing a general search but most comments relate to electronic tachometers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem. My cable also turned freely but I had already had the tach cleaned and rebuilt when I restored the car. So, I figured it was the cable even though it rotated freely. I removed the cable by unscrewing from the tach, unscrewing from the engine, and pulling it out of the car. Actually pretty simple with a set of jack stands. There are flanges on both ends of the tach cable, so I couldn't remove it from the cable housing. I used a can of aerosol cable lubricant (purchased at a motorcycle dealership) to blast out the old grease and grime inside the cable housing. Fifty years of old grease and grit came out. It has worked flawlessly for over a year. Took less than an hour. You might try something similar.

I did a similar job with the speedo cable. After removal from the car, the speedo cable can be pulled out of the cable housing because the engine-end of the cable has no flange. I blasted the inside of the housing with a can of general penetrant/lubricant (eg, PB Blaster) and put a very light grease on the cable itself, then re-assembled it. No change in performance, but at least it has clean, new lubricant in the cable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice - it was the cable. I tried lubricating the cable to no effect and then had the instrument checked by an instrument restorer and he said the gauge is fine and the cable is shot. Time for a new one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts