Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my highly intermittent gauges with this pair from Speedhut. I went with the GPS speedo because I plan to change my rear to the 4.1 out of my parts car. The only modification I had to do to the instrument cluster was drill a 3/8" hole behind the speedo for the wiring. The original gauges can easily be put back in. The coolest feature of the speedo is that you can get 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Haven't tried either yet as I'm waiting until I re-torque my head at the 1000 mile point due to head gasket replacement. I'll post the time differences after I swap out the rear ends.............Bob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Bob,

Nice looking guages.

Did you have to do any electrical work?

Did these attach right into the existing plugs?

Vin

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the compliments!! They cost $320.00 for the pair plus an additional $25.00 to send the speedo back to have a remote programming button installed. I didn't realize that this was an option until I saw that the tach had a remote programming button. I mounted the buttons in the steering column cover behind the light control lever on that little ledge there with the buttons facing forward. I figured out which pins inside the housing were +, -, and signal for the tach and soldered the appropriate wire to each. For the speedo I figured out the + and - but had to go outside of the housing to pickup a constant 12V. The constant 12V allows the speedo to remember where the satelites are for about 4 hours after you turn the car off so that it will work immediately after startup. Otherwise it can take up to 1 minute to start working as it is searching for the satelites. The electronics have a lifetime guarantee, so it seemed worth the price to me. To attach the gauges to the panel I simply put a bead of clear adhesive caulk around the tightening ring and let it dry overnight. It can be cut or picked off if need be........Bob

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to check my records when I get home from work to see what size I ordered. The only trouble I have had is with the speedometer loosing signal and freezing at whatever speed it lost it's signal at. I live in a very mountainous area so it depends on where the satelites are in respect to which side of the mountain I am on. It happens once every two or three months.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Bob I really apreciate that, but when it works is it transparent to a normal speedo, did you change out the Tach to match, any pics of the install...I have even checked directly in Italy and cannot find a new sender, I live in the Burbs so I dont think signal will be an issue that I cant live with...Apreciate any help I can get...

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
nice looking alternative to go away from stock.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Love it.

Did you install this yourself or did you send it away?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I installed it myself. The hardest part is getting the pod out of the dash, after that it's pretty straight forward. The gauges come with a mounting ring that would hold the gauge in place if it were screwed in through a hole With the mounting ring screwed all the way in I used adhesive caulk to hold the ring to the outside of the existing gauge opening. No permanent damage is done so that the original gauges can be put back if desired.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Bob, How did you do the electrical/signal connections?:eek:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's easiest to do if your manual has a wiring schematic or possibly get one from pappajam. As best as I can recall both the stock tach and speedo have 3 wire plugs. Ground was the easiest to find because one side of all of the light bulbs are grounded. I used the schematic and followed the pinout to get the positive side, which left one pin which is the signal. You only need the signal pin for the tach, as the speedo uses it's gps sensor for signal. The speedo needs a constant 12 volt supply to one of it's wires to remember where the satelites are. I'm pretty sure I picked that up at the light that shines on the floor from the knee bolster. If not there, then you could get it at the fuse block.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Both reasons, it was erratic and wanted both to match. The tach is the less expensive of the two units.

·
Registered
141 Posts
size matters

if you look at the tread gps speedo @ speedhut i discuss size 3.375 is what i installed bob also, it looks great but smallish bascically the bezel ring fits inside perfectly, but this reduces the face size by nearly 1/2-3/4. The Four might work but the face will be far back. As instead of fitting inside the hole it will be at the back of the hole. You will see in the pic below

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts