Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my tach does not read above 3,500rpm even when I reach the limiter the reading remains at 3,500

Where the tach does the signal, the distributor or the coil?

BTW, I also noticed that the engine does not have as much power as usual, it seems to take longer to wind up...

any comments.?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
it goes right to the coil.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Tach needs to be re-calibrated or rebuilt.

Incomplete or slow sweep is a typical failure mode.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Tach needs to be re-calibrated or rebuilt.

Incomplete or slow sweep is a typical failure mode.
mine is the same but one day awhile back, it worked as it should but only for that day. and then it was back to low readings.

would a tach that needs rebuilding or recalibrating do this or should i look for a bad wiring connection somewhere?

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
You likely need to have the tach rebuilt. What happens is test first, see what's up. If OK you don't get charged much if anything. If no good (which it may be) they replace the little pot, and re-calibrate it.

If it worked only briefly it may just be a loose connection, but what likely happened is an unlikely combination of temperature/bump/who knows to allow it to sweep briefly.

Palo Alto did my cluster in my Verde and it is flawless now. They are very reasonable and I got it back quickly and it was no longer a hassle.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
who's a palo alto? (i know it's a town in NorCal but who are you referring to?)

and what did they charge?

thanks

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
north hollywood speedo said around $180 which seems a bit pricey although he wasn't familiar with the milano speedo which i thought was strange. i got an instrument cluster at the junkyard and after installing the new tach in place of mine, the needle at first did nothing and now a day or two later, is doing the same thing as always: reading way to low and barely moving.

****, i just want my tach!

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Now that you have two why not send one out to shop of choice and have them test it and repair if necessary? seems more efficient than swapping old parts around. then you can at least narrow your possibilities/problems down.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I send my speedo cluster to Gauge works here in 'sunny (not)' Adelaide
costed me $180 to fix speedo and check all gaugers well.
Hm hm hm not happy the speedo (on startup) goes around and sites on the the trip meter button and the tipe meter spins of a min , then comes out sites as normal work fine .
So I bounght all in one gauge ;tacho,oil,water etc
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805304/1987-alfa-romeo-milano/page-6
in short just by a new old one .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts