Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my new to me '79 Alfetta GT the tach is not working. It seems like this is a common problem but searching the archives doesn't bring up a result. So before diving in to this problem I thought I would ask if there is a known fix for this or if every problem is different.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Have you checked the wire to the coil? On my 1984 GTV the white wire on the coil was disconnected. The tacho worked fine when I put it back on.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Do Alfetta's have the same problem with warping needles as the GTV6? When I got mine the tach and speedo needles were bent enough to be stuck on the face of their respected instruments. A little careful adjustment and a heat gun is the cure for that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Fist off, is it a mechanical or electronic one? (blue face mechanical, black face electronic), if mechanical, check the connection at the water pump to make sure everything is all good.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
(blue face mechanical, black face electronic)
I have several mechanical and electronic. They are all blue face.
This one in my 77 sedan is blue and electric
Paul

Just pull the guage and use a test light to see if you are getting pulse at the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
oops sorry about that, of all the ones i've seen the blue are mechanical and black are electronic, I assumed they were all like that, my bad.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Do Alfetta's have the same problem with warping needles as the GTV6? When I got mine the tach and speedo needles were bent enough to be stuck on the face of their respected instruments. A little careful adjustment and a heat gun is the cure for that.
Be CAREFUL if you take the heat gun route. I messed one up like this the first time and I've seen other people do it, too. Search the archives for other possibilities if you want to see what you can do. People have all kinds of clever replacement needles.

Karl

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
I've never known Alfettas to have that problem with the exception of the series 2 Sport Sedans - 95% of those have warped needles.

Wes - have you checked the obvious - how's the connection to the actual tach? If you pull off the housing, sometimes the clip has slid off enough to disrupt function. Also, a light cleaning of same contact with very fine steel wool sometimes get's things operational again.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I'm getting ready to take one of mine apart and see about installing a new set of guts inside it because mine has some accuracy issues. I'm thinking that a Volvo 240 VDO gauge will work.
I'll keep y'all updated.
Paul

·
Registered
496 Posts
That would be interesting if it works... keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The screws that hold the face of the tach have the same spacing so the only real issue is getting the needle off the Alfa tach and then onto the Volvo tach. The 240 uses a direct feed from the coil to run the tach. Easy! I hope. I'm seeing alot of hot glue in my future.

Paul

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hey Paul, did you and your girlfriend once come to the Buckeye Alfa club's holiday dinner? If so I met you there (I had just joined that club). I'm out in Portland now, but thought that might have been you.

Karl

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yes that was us! It was a really crappy, snowy night. The door on my GTV-6 froze so it wouldn't latch. I think that we were the only ones there driving an Alfa. I think we also won two of the door prizes:D. I only looped it once that night on the way to the Thirsty Turtle after dinner for some pool and refreshments. She still married me knowing that I was an Alfa dork.:confused:
There is no accounting for taste....
Paul

·
Registered
496 Posts
The screws that hold the face of the tach have the same spacing so the only real issue is getting the needle off the Alfa tach and then onto the Volvo tach. The 240 uses a direct feed from the coil to run the tach. Easy! I hope. I'm seeing alot of hot glue in my future.

Paul
Are the Volvo's numbers spaced the same? So far right is at about the same RPM? The needle _might_ just fit if the shaft is the same size.

Karl

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yes that was us! It was a really crappy, snowy night. The door on my GTV-6 froze so it wouldn't latch. I think that we were the only ones there driving an Alfa. I think we also won two of the door prizes:D. I only looped it once that night on the way to the Thirsty Turtle after dinner for some pool and refreshments. She still married me knowing that I was an Alfa dork.:confused:
There is no accounting for taste....
Paul
Yeah, ok I thought that was you! I sat at the table with you and Andy, the club president at the time. I remember your door got stuck. You were running the car hoping it would warm up enough to unfreeze.

I think everyone else didn't want to frighten their Alfa with the salt. :) On second thought maybe that's why your Alfa's door froze... it was getting back at you. :p

Karl

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
That poor car is still around. It runs like a bat out of hell but when the current owner told me one day. "Hey man... That car will still do 140 mph easy!" All I thought about is how did it not explode from the rust:D I guess that salt is bad for them. Have you talked to Andy. I think the last time I saw him was in Nashville at the convention.

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts