Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a new tach cable on my 74 spider two years ago and noticed oil built up around the connection at the block. The fitting on the block was snug with a new gasket.

Has anyone experienced this and if so has tried a thin O Ring or maybe a thin ring of ultra black?

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
I have seen the o-rings migrate to the wrong place. Have you checked that it's still there?

Seems stupid, but I have had it happen more than once.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not see an o ring in it when it was brand new. I asked the guy at International and was told it was not supposed to have one?

·
Premium Member
5,536 Posts
The o ring on the outside of the cable end is just there to keep the cap from slipping down the cable during installation. There is a seal inside the male end of the tach attachment point at the water pump. You not have the cable fully tight, that seal fell out or it is just bad.
Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia Engine Oil Seals

There is also a paper gasket under the tach housing flange but unless you removed the two M6 screws i doubt that would be the problem.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rich, I do not see any seal in the cable end but it has been hanging in the engine bay while the engine was out and the engine bay painted. But, I don't think there was anything in there when I replaced the cable 3 years ago. Do you think a little RTV would be ok? I was going to roll it up like an O Ring.

·
Premium Member
1984 GTV6, 1973 Berlina, 1987 Milano
1,566 Posts
Ha! I thought the o-ring was supposed to go under the cap, you learn something new every day. I will adjust that. Oops.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts