Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, a quick question:

Any thoughts on external cooling of the Milano gearbox? Is it possible? If yes, does anyone have experience/success, instructions, recommendations… warnings/cautions? Pictures?

Thanks. Mirko

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Hi Mirko,
I have been customer at your shop and got nice products from you, rear brakes.

With regards to your question: yes TA oil cooling was/is standard item on the SZ(which is a special version of the 75). I will find a drawing and post it here for you! The system came With electric oil pump and a small radiator.

GK.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TA Cooling

Hi Mirko,
I have been customer at your shop and got nice products from you, rear brakes.

With regards to your question: yes TA oil cooling was/is standard item on the SZ(which is a special version of the 75). I will find a drawing and post it here for you! The system came With electric oil pump and a small radiator.

GK.

Thanks G, much appreciated and looking forward to whatever you can post. I'll also continue to search under some of those terms.

Glad to know you've been happy with the products/services Group2 Motorsports have provided. I'll pass the word along. Thanks!

MF

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Ok here it is: memory not being the same any longer: the pump seems to be mechanical.

The drawing is from the SZ spare parts fiche, so not a photo, but it gives some ideas of the TA cooling system. I send it to your mail adress too in much better resolution. If you have customer for such a mod, you can add me aswell as I have also been looking for an oil cooler solution! Well, for a reasonable price! :)

Regards
GK.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks G!
I just sent you a PM with my email, as I have not received the mail you sent. More questions as well…

M

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
trans cooler

Lots of ways to do this. If you want to copy a known setup - get in touch with Wes (AlfaGuy35 I think) out in CA. He bought Rob Verenna's old Chump (LeMons?) GTV6 racer that had a very nice trans cooler setup in it when sold. I mocked up a trans cooler with a 164 trans cooler and fan setup but never hard mounted it.

What trans temps are you running? What fluid? Lubrication Engineers has a great fluid for our trans's. It was the only fluid that didn't boil or deteriorate immediately in my uncle's ITS GTV6.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
My car has the pickup on the drain plug, its been tapped for a NPT thread. This connects to a Tilton pump which has a check valve. The output goes through a strainer style filter with a magnet to pick out iron. Next is a cooler. Then I chose to put it back into the transaxle by drilling and tapping the boss on top of the ring gear.

This made it necessary to bend the rear transaxle mount to get everything to fit. I did this because I believed the ring and pinion were where the major amount of heat was being generated.

Wes did it a little differently. I think the best solution is a combination of both ideas.

But I think that the only reason to do this is if you are running Enduro type events. My Milano runs all out 8 hours or so in the Lemons races. If you are just running sprint races, the transaxle doesn't get very hot.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My car has the pickup on the drain plug, its been tapped for a NPT thread. This connects to a Tilton pump which has a check valve. The output goes through a strainer style filter with a magnet to pick out iron. Next is a cooler. Then I chose to put it back into the transaxle by drilling and tapping the boss on top of the ring gear.

This made it necessary to bend the rear transaxle mount to get everything to fit. I did this because I believed the ring and pinion were where the major amount of heat was being generated.

Wes did it a little differently. I think the best solution is a combination of both ideas.

But I think that the only reason to do this is if you are running Enduro type events. My Milano runs all out 8 hours or so in the Lemons races. If you are just running sprint races, the transaxle doesn't get very hot.

Greg

Interesting your photos and observations about heat created related to short or longer races! I would also expect more heat generated using much more powerful engine than original! Like a step from 200Hp up to 300Hp!

Would be interesting to see how you installed the oil pump and radiator. Have seen different solutions, but not convinced about placement of these items. On the SZ the radiator sits underneath the floor up against a wall. So it must be poor cooling!

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/40276-transmission-coolers.html

GK.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mirko,
I added a transaxle cooler couple years back onto the GTV6. Like Greg’s system, the pickup is on the tapped drain plug NPT thread that connects to a Tilton pump with a check valve mounted up on the gtv6 spare tire well. The output also goes through a strainer filter with a magnet. Cooler is next mounted up under the frame rail for protection. Add an intake to scoop up air, but scoop can rip away independent from the cooler. Then fluid is returned back to the transaxle by the tapped fill plug. Tapped and added long breather tube to top of differential. Also added a thermostatic switch at exterior of differential cooling-fin ½ way up. Pump is powered with fused relay mounted at rear battery.

System works well and can hear pump cycle on and off as fluid heats then cools. (actually wired exhaust overheat light as indicator when pump is running; but even with pump isolated with rubber insulators “you know when it is running”.

Hope the PNW ICSCC went well.

J

Attachments

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Mirko,
I added a transaxle cooler couple years back onto the GTV6. Like Greg’s the system has the pickup on the tapped drain plug for a NPT thread also connects to a Tilton pump with a check valve mounted up on the gtv6 spare tire well. The output also goes through a strainer filter with a magnet. Cooler is next mounted up under the frame rail for protection. Add an intake to scoop up air, but scoop can rip away independent from the cooler. Then fluid is return back to the transaxle buy the tapped fill plug. Tapped and added long breather tube to top of differential. Also added a thermostatic switch at exterior of differential cooling-fin ½ way up. Pump is powered with fused relay mounted at rear battery.

System works well and can hear pump cycle on and off as fluid heats then cools. (actually wired exhaust overheat light as indicator when pump is running; but even with pump isolated with rubber insulators “you know when it is running”.

Hope the PW ICSCC went well.

J
Very nice setup. I like the scoop, but in LeMons racing there are times when you have to take an agricultural excursion when things go bad in front of you. Additionally occasionally one of the 130+ cars on track with you shed parts and they pass under your car. So everything underneath has to be seriously tucked in or of a breakaway design. I have aluminum sheet deflectors attached to the de-Dion that scoop air from underneath and shoot it up into the rotors, they are riveted with 1/8 aluminum rivets so they can tear loose.

For the transaxle cooler I have a scoop high up on the left rear fender and a duct hose attached that passes through the trunk. The cooler is mounted to a plastic brake duct scoop that is attached to the duct hose and also a thin plate that is in place of the cut out spare tire well. All the air from the scoop passes through it.

Greg

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
What an interesting thread. I don't need a cooler as my races are short but it's always interesting to learn from fellow transaxle racers.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Here a couple of photos of the cooling arrangement of one of the GTV6 s in our racing series. We are into sprint racing with around 10-12 laps, so according to others here it should not be necessary, but it even here some of the fastest ones has complained about high TA temperatures! In order to avoid damage of the cooler system in case of excursion out of the track, the system was installed in the trunk. A very nice car indeed, so its a matter of practicality and taste how the arrangement of the cooler will be. I am sure a lot of versions can be made. Look forward to what arrangement Mirko will arrive at!

GK.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Here a couple of photos of the cooling arrangement of one of the GTV6 s in our racing series. We are into sprint racing with around 10-12 laps, so according to others here it should not be necessary, but it even here some of the fastest ones has complained about high TA temperatures! In order to avoid damage of the cooler system in case of excursion out of the track, the system was installed in the trunk. A very nice car indeed, so its a matter of practicality and taste how the arrangement of the cooler will be. I am sure a lot of versions can be made. Look forward to what arrangement Mirko will arrive at!

GK.
Maybe I just think I don't need it? Time to monitor it I believe.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Seriously, if people are doing track work, then they should really be using something much more capable of doing its job, than the original Bosch ECU!

And if they are doing that, then feeding an additional transmission temperature input into the new ECU for data logging, is a given!
From this they can determine their requirements to add or control differently, a TA cooler.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts