Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, what is the purpose of the T-Bar thrust washer? I am refurbing and don't really want to have to remove the rnd bush and housing to put on replacements. I was thinking of cutting and then glueing them back together thus removing the requirement to remove the end bushes and all that goes with that.

Thought/opinions please

thx
Chris

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,985 Posts
The thrust washer takes the side loads from turning, while deadening the sound and softening the ride. If you cut this bushing and attempt to reused it, it will depart the car very quickly, leaving unpredictable handling and interesting noises.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thrust washer takes the side loads from turning, while deadening the sound and softening the ride. If you cut this bushing and attempt to reused it, it will depart the car very quickly, leaving unpredictable handling and interesting noises.
Ok do the bushes just pull off then?

Anyone in the uk with a tool I can borrow?

thx
chris

·
Super Moderator
10,953 Posts
I was thinking of cutting and then glueing them back together thus removing the requirement to remove the end bushes and all that goes with that.
You're on the right track, but the preferred procedure is to just cut through one side of the circle, allowing you to expand the disk and snap it over the T-bar rod. Make a cut that is tangent to the circumference of the inner hole; not one that would pass through the center.

As DPeterson3 wrote, if you cut through both sides of the circle, and try glueing it back together, it will fail under load.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're on the right track, but the preferred procedure is to just cut through one side of the circle, allowing you to expand the disk and snap it over the T-bar rod.

As DPeterson3 wrote, if you cut through both sides of the circle, and try glueing it back together, it will fail under load.
Yes would only cut through one side and that side in a swirl/wave to reduce the posibity of falling out. Plus a liberal spray over with Hammerstein black was hoping that would be enough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts