Alfa Romeo Forums banner

T-5 Tranny conversions?

51K views 135 replies 35 participants last post by  bearbvd 
#1 ·
Hello fellow Alfa owners!
I have owned and wrenched on Alfas for the past 15 years and am still learning, enjoying, and experimenting with this beautiful machine.

I have read hundreds of posts on the positives, and of the shortcomings in engineering design implementations of this automobile manufacturer.

One of my biggest areas of concern is how the power is transmitted to the rear end (transmission). There are questions of gear crunch, gear lightining, the proper way to shift an Alfa, no syncro downshift to first, and so on.

Personally, I'm working on a way to improve this area, permanently. These minor machining operations and misc available parts will allow the T-5 WC transmissions to be adapted to the Alfa bellhousing in a reliable and professional OEM type installation. The advantages are, and will be obivious. Imagine, choice of gearing, approx same weight as Alfa tranny, FULL,Positive, synchronization of gears - upshifting and downshifting very quickly, and the security of knowing replacement tranny parts are readily available if ever needed. The main part I will fabricate that will allow a sucessful and trouble free conversion is the machined aluminum adapter plate (attached to the Alfa bellhousing). I am using a '78 Spider as the test mule. I will thoroughly work out all the dimensions, fabrication details, and use as many readily available parts to make a troublefree install.

I will post my progress with text and pictures to share with the Alfa community --- Coming Soon !!!

flybird-T

See less See more
#30 ·
ECARRILLO,
just read your post. I'm glad to hear you're interested in this project. Your interest and enthusiam is what this sport is all about!! Right now it seems like the height of the T-5,
and its' fit into the spider trans tunnel is being determined. I will personally be tearing down the trans area to visualize and measure if there will be any interference with the heater box and stock console. If you have any input from your experiences with the spider in this area, please add to the ongoing posts.

flybird-T

#31 ·
WHY? Have you planted a new idea in my head. It isn't like turbo charging and doing all the work to install the turbo, intercooler, oil cooler Accel injectors and megasquirt system wasn't enough to almost cause a divorce now you have me staring oddly at the T5 that is under my bench and wondering whether to go for it or not. Bad man....:)

#34 ·
I'll see if I can get the current project together and then if I have a chance to enjoy it through what remains of the good weather I may seriously consider the T5 conversion over the winter.

I'd love to talk to you sometime about how you did your turbo. Exh manifold; intake; injectors; getting the megasquirt running. Lots of good experience to share. :)

#36 ·
Well?

Are you back yet? have you figure out the details? Inquiring minds want to know. Still looking forward to emailing you about your turbo conversion and megasquirt sometime after the fourth of July weekend. I'll be in Sacramento that week end but doubt we'll travel to the bay area.

David

#37 ·
Yes, I'm back. Still trying to find time to do the body to transmission dimensions. I got distracted by a Cadillac SLS engine replacement, including installing timeserts and new gaskets all around. (very involving project) But, as I mentioned before, always have time for e-mail about Alfas!
flybird-T

#41 ·
I've been looking into this project for a while. The biggest issue seems to be fitting the boxy top of the T5 into the trans tunnel. Let us know how it goes when you get it in there. are you planning to hack up the tunnel?

Also are you using the S10 tailshaft? How does shifter location look?

#43 ·
Hi,
Thanks for expressing interest in this T-5 project
I have mocked up the T-5 into the spider. It fits, tight, but fits. No hacking of the tunnel required, but a few well placed hammer blows where the tranny rubs on the tunnel, is all that is needed. Yes, the tail housing is from a S-10.
The tail-housing seems to place the shifter within 1" to 2" of the original location.
I am now working out the dimensions necessary to use the Ford Input shaft to the Alfa pilot bearing.
Thanks,
flybird-T

#45 ·
Hi Caliscouser,
I'm posting a couple of pics to show where the S-10 tailshaft will locate the shifter of the T-5. This is from the inside of the Alfa looking down toward the trans tunnel. The last pic is to show from the underside of the Alfa looking up at the T-5 in relationship to tunnel clearance. (tight, but doable)
Flybird-T

Attachments

#46 ·
Any more news? I’ve been watching with interest. Will a T5 from a 92 Firebird V6 work? Different input shaft? It’s just that there is one down the street. Ford clutch disc? Any problem with using an Afla clutch? I just put in a new one last fall, maybe has 50 miles on it. Maybe I missed it, but single drive shaft? I take it, that it would need to be fabricated…from what?

#48 ·
i think the camaro/firebird t-5's used on v-8's used a different trans to bellhousing bolt pattern than the generic t-5's used on mustangs, s-10's, nissan 280z's, etc. not sure on the v-6 cars. you would really need to check that

#50 ·
camaro t-5

the camaro/ firebird t-5 is different. uses the old muncie bolt pattern but was inclined about 15 degrees. i tried to import a photo but could not . the mounting ears are much wider and very different from mustang style. there is one on ebay for a late 80's early 90's v8. easy to see different pattern

#53 ·
moral of the story is use something like the mustang box you suggested, good ratios and fitment, plus the fact they probably outnumber the f-body boxes 5 or 10 to 1

#54 ·
just at pick and pull antelope ca.. i found 3 mid 90's mustangs in the lot.. with the trannys sitll in the cars.i z28 with the tranny still in the car.. the mustangs 6 cly 3.35 1 st gear and the z28 2.95 1 st gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.