Alfa Romeo Forums banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mine is a 72 Gt Junior , no mods made to tunnel. Your spider has gear lever coming out in the same place , tunnel may be different, maybe not ?

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Still wondering why you would do this. The Alfa gearbox is a wonderful thing IMO.
Pete

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
shift quality is much better ..many of my friend whom have driving my spider with the w/c t5 love it..sold 2 kit to racers here in n. cal.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Still wondering why you would do this. The Alfa gearbox is a wonderful thing IMO.
Pete
I agree, the box in my latest road 105 is lovely and i will look after it carefully.
On the track though I am not a capable enough driver to double declutch while cornering and braking and keeping an eye on the guy in front, beside and behind me, I have missed gears going into corners many times , its slow and dangerous. -- I don't know what the Ford shifter is like but my Chevy S10 shifter with a short shifter mod is not as nice as the Alfa box but the syncros work perfectly and are strong.
T5's "weak" reputation comes from drag racers with slicks and locked diffs and big torque V8's.
Then there is the cost element , complete rebuild kits are a few hundred dollars, when I am feeling a bit richer, close ratio gears are strong and a third of the price of problematic Alfa stuff

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Pete
My reason is power handling. This is for a turbocharged spider which could eventually see numbers in the 300whp range. Especially reading the horror stories of exploding guibos, I would like something designed for that kind of power. Also, the unit in there now has a bad second gear synchro. If it's getting pulled anyways, it makes sense to look into better options.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My reason is power handling. This is for a turbocharged spider which could eventually see numbers in the 300whp range. Especially reading the horror stories of exploding guibos, I would like something designed for that kind of power. Also, the unit in there now has a bad second gear synchro. If it's getting pulled anyways, it makes sense to look into better options.
You will need something a bit more robust than a standard T5 for that, there are gear kits available for that sort of power so you could look at doing the basic swap and then put in stronger gears when needed, T5 much easier to take out too, 4 bolts and the box slides off under the car leaving the bellhousing in place.

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
I disagree . the W/C T5 is more than strong enough for a turbo 2 liter car.. it won't have the massive tq of a V8 motor, and the tires on a spider( type ) car you can only go so big.. not the monster drag slicks that mussle cars have. and all you need to do to a stock W/C T5 is remove the stock stamped steel layshaft bearing retainer, and put in a machined steel piece.. they cost 65-100$ and the box can stand up to 450hp. and to slide the 'box' of the bellhousing.. tried that. not going to work in a alfa :):):) upper bolts are hidden ...

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
You will need something a bit more robust than a standard T5 for that, there are gear kits available for that sort of power so you could look at doing the basic swap and then put in stronger gears when needed, T5 much easier to take out too, 4 bolts and the box slides off under the car leaving the bellhousing in place.
There is the "Cobra" box they put into the high output V8 Mustang in the mid-90s rated to 400ft/lbs. My understanding is they can be melded with S10 transmissions to produce the correct length.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I run Pro5.0 shifters on all my t5s. I usually add a longer handle in order to line up with the steering wheel. I want it to fall easily to hand when I'm shifting. Very positive and easy shifter.

We added a remote shifter to our racecar. It works very nicely. Got it from Mustangs Unlimited.

When we get the Alfa running I'll have to make a decision about the T5 conversion.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is a set of progression shots for my conversion. It is my first try at something like this so bear that in mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry last two had to wait to the next page. One is obvious, the last one is a picture of the adapter plate for the SAE U-Jpimtp Plate to the mounting plated on the front of the differential. Drive line now consist of Ford slip Yoke and the attache U-Bolt flange.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
carnoi, for a few sec. there , i thought that was my car in photos... have you driven the car yet with the t5 conversion. if so what do you think about it?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sorry last two had to wait to the next page. One is obvious, the last one is a picture of the adapter plate for the SAE U-Jpimtp Plate to the mounting plated on the front of the differential. Drive line now consist of Ford slip Yoke and the attache U-Bolt flange.
Thanks for the photos. Question: I presume you used a non S-10 box given that you are moving the shifter farther back?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry Bianchi but my project has yet to see pavement. The joys of trying to survive. Doesn't help that I'm now a societal pariah (lost my job a couple weeks ago) I have made significant progress and would be happy to share some more pictures with you. Let me know if you are interested. Lots of progress towards an externally stock looking turbo conversion unless you know what you are looking at. Unlike your car, and I mean no disrespect here, I am trying to do my best to have it look stock from the outside.

I'd still love to hear more about your first big brake adaptation. Not the one with the Porsche 4 pot calipers if memory serves me right.

The engine bay is coming along. but I will add three of the engine bay for you to look at. I don't want to hijack the thread any more than I already have. PM me if you want more. David

Attachments

101 - 120 of 136 Posts