Alfa Romeo Forums banner
61 - 80 of 136 Posts
i am waiting for a used drivers side, motor mount. the paul spuell motor mount tower broke at the top welds, when i recive one, i will be instaling the t5 and work the last few bugs out.i really do not belive there will be any bugs.so at this moment, i just degreased/ de oiled my engine bay, and starting to paint it, the old alfa paint went south.

Discussion starter · #62 ·
T-5 conversion

hi shoguneagle,
Your post is very encouraging.( Please see my previous posts) I am at the point now where the fitting of the driveshaft is next. The driveshaft will be cut down and fitted from readily available donor cars(mustangs, aerostars; etc. specifics to follow.) Because of the importance this conversion will make in the alfa world - I will be considering offering this project in kit form. The details will take a little while to work out, as well as the pricing. Please be patient there is more to come - the T-5 conversion is alive and well!!
Thanks,
Flybird - T @
Super Sport Mtrs.

i will have the prices for both adapters by friday/ monday..and the recipe to stuff it all togeather.. e mail or call 916.412.9052 after 9 pm pacfic time( running out of cell mins right now :):) ) will have photos up soon, sending my photo card to a member here so he can post them..

Hey, what was the final outcome of the T5 transmission conversion? I just got a hold of a thrashed out Spider with a trashed tranny and I have a T-5 sitting in my garage...

Thanks - Cris

i have been running mine now for a year.. works great easy shifting, very quite,,,but crisd.. it won't mount to a stock alfa bellhousing..

So there is one question that isn't discussed in these threads but I'm guessing the answer is pretty self evident: Which clutch are you guys using with the W/C T5? I'm guessing having adapted up the alfa bellhousing there is either a replacement friction disc which has the T5 spline count on it or you're just using a standard Alfa clutch assembly and it's a match. Obviously the pilot bearing is slightly off from one to the other as well. Finally, who is selling conversion bellhousing adapters and how much? Hit me up on a PM or email me at jason.g@namelessperformance.com if you'd like.

Must admit I've never run into any power holding issues with my Alfa clutch, but I'm planning on doubling the power output of the little Nord engine and I'd prefer to do all of the upgrades at once. I'm going to also go fish around on the other threads as I believe there are a few of these concurrently discussing the same ideas so I may see you in those as well.

Jason

the pressure plate. t/o bearing is alfa spider, disk i think it was mustang 2.same diameter of the alfa disk, t5 input shaft splines.

That is great news!! Any places I can get an upgraded pressure plate to hold the power a bit more? Looks like I have a friend/customer with a brand new W/C T5 in a Fox Box T-Bird that he may or may not have decided to give up on (Has the S/C engine swapped in & a W/C T5). Might be a great solution!!

Jason

make shure it is a w/c tranny.. the w/c tranny take atf 3 fluid..( i use stf4 on my car.) if it uses gear oil, it is not a w/c tranny. i think the pressure plate will just fine..

it also depends on the t-5. if i am not mistaken, the trans needs to be a later ford with the longer input shaft, 93-94 or later, at least with bianchi's kit like i have. i have the 94 mustang v6 trans to use. it has a slightly longer input shaft then the earlier models. or maybe the adapter plate could be milled thinner as it is a fairly thick plate. i believe the clutch disc is from a mustang svo with the 2.3 turbo

I bought a new 1986 &1/2 spec 5.0 Mustang box WC so I could have a very close 5th gear ( could be important on a race car ) this box came with the shorter input shaft which is nearly identical to the Alfa shaft. To make it work my engineer has cut off the back of the bell housing, made a new clutch bearing support to cover the T5 front bearing and is remounting the pivot so I can reuse most of the Alfa parts, (will need a new clutch disc) I gave him two bell housing to work with and they had different measurements !

Attachments

Getting there

Bellhousing is now welded up and pivot for clutch fork in place, gearbox is now basically usable ( except for driveshaft) the guys doing the work generally work on tractors and thought it was finished like this with obviously no idea how tight it is in a GTV. Plate will be trimmed to match box.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.