Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 60 of 136 Posts
I've been looking into this project for a while. The biggest issue seems to be fitting the boxy top of the T5 into the trans tunnel. Let us know how it goes when you get it in there. are you planning to hack up the tunnel?

Also are you using the S10 tailshaft? How does shifter location look?

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Hi,
Thanks for expressing interest in this T-5 project
I have mocked up the T-5 into the spider. It fits, tight, but fits. No hacking of the tunnel required, but a few well placed hammer blows where the tranny rubs on the tunnel, is all that is needed. Yes, the tail housing is from a S-10.
The tail-housing seems to place the shifter within 1" to 2" of the original location.
I am now working out the dimensions necessary to use the Ford Input shaft to the Alfa pilot bearing.
Thanks,
flybird-T

... i guess at this point it's a race to get the t5 box in a spider...i am just waiting for a non rainy day to compleate mine

Discussion starter · #45 ·
Hi Caliscouser,
I'm posting a couple of pics to show where the S-10 tailshaft will locate the shifter of the T-5. This is from the inside of the Alfa looking down toward the trans tunnel. The last pic is to show from the underside of the Alfa looking up at the T-5 in relationship to tunnel clearance. (tight, but doable)
Flybird-T

Attachments

Any more news? I’ve been watching with interest. Will a T5 from a 92 Firebird V6 work? Different input shaft? It’s just that there is one down the street. Ford clutch disc? Any problem with using an Afla clutch? I just put in a new one last fall, maybe has 50 miles on it. Maybe I missed it, but single drive shaft? I take it, that it would need to be fabricated…from what?

i think the camaro/firebird t-5's used on v-8's used a different trans to bellhousing bolt pattern than the generic t-5's used on mustangs, s-10's, nissan 280z's, etc. not sure on the v-6 cars. you would really need to check that

cygnus x1( black hole ) e mail me a few hours from now. i will be at work, i have the tranny codes.. also all t5 boxes use the same 4 hole mounting to the gearbox..

camaro t-5

the camaro/ firebird t-5 is different. uses the old muncie bolt pattern but was inclined about 15 degrees. i tried to import a photo but could not . the mounting ears are much wider and very different from mustang style. there is one on ebay for a late 80's early 90's v8. easy to see different pattern

moral of the story is use something like the mustang box you suggested, good ratios and fitment, plus the fact they probably outnumber the f-body boxes 5 or 10 to 1

just at pick and pull antelope ca.. i found 3 mid 90's mustangs in the lot.. with the trannys sitll in the cars.i z28 with the tranny still in the car.. the mustangs 6 cly 3.35 1 st gear and the z28 2.95 1 st gear.

this has me interested in picking up a t-5. i just returned from my local pic-a-part and found a couple of mid-90's v6 mustangs w/ t-5's. also checked on f-bodies. 89 z28 had the different muncie style t-5 mounting but the 98 firebird was the same as the mustang. ratios still not optimum like bianchi says. also the nissan 300zx used the t-5

box no. 238 1= 3.35 2= 1.99 3= 1.32 4= 1.00 5= .72 98 v6 mustang . 248 1= 2.95 2=1.94 3=1.34 4= .00 5= .8 mustang v8 1999 box no.. 249 same as box no.248 but 5= .63

alfa vulcan.. the nissan box is not w/c... world class.. check wikky on t5 transmissions... this will help you understand:):):)

yea i know. mostly just later mustangs and camaro's . the camaro used a 1 1/8" input shaft vs the 1 1/16" on the ford

Very, Very, Very Interesting!!!!

I am very interested in this type of conversion thus making a weakness in an original Alfa stronger. Any kits coming out of this info/thread??

The T5 Ford transmission has been used in conversions involving Lotus Elans, etc. Even an Alfa engine has been transmitted into an Elan, and I believe using a Ford T5. I will have to see where I got this info and do further research. I like the idea of one drive shaft with two universals. Any questions I have should come out answered as the thread develops. These questions involve areas that are being developed and addressed such as Alfa clutch use, bellhousing,adapter plate, shaft length and size, rear mount, etc.

There was a thread from a retired GM Senior Engineer who put a early Ford 302 and I believe a T5 transmission along with a solid drive line (two universals).

I like the project because it will give one a platform with dependability for long trips, etc. OR, should do this.

Keep developing and keep the thread going. Can be very meaningful for future Alfisti's who want to keep their cars running for the next 40 years.

Steve Hurt

41 - 60 of 136 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.