Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 40 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
..am i seeing something wrong here..this si not ready for mounting yet? right? there are only 2 nuts holding the bellhousing to the gearbox?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi bianchi1,
Nothing wrong, this was done only to photograph the mock-up. The other holes are drilled, and fit correctly. By the way -- sharp eye you have there!!
flybird T

·
Registered
657 Posts
Looks great but I don't think it's going to fit in a stock tunnel, that box is very square on top, stock is not and very tight to start with. Cutting the tunnel is fine for a few, but most won't do it, leads to new problems like, the heater box no longer fitting, etc. etc.

Alfa Parts Exchange

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If this could be worked into the transaxle formation, that would be awesome. I've been dreaming of corvette gearboxes.
Aren't the 'vette gearboxes a Tremec T56 with different rear section that incorperates a differential?
I believe these photo's are of the earlier/first transaxle 'vette gearbox that mistakingly had the clutch at the engine. After that I believe they changed to a rear clutch.
ALFAGTV6.COM • View topic - Front mounted tranny

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hello larry,
just read your post, and as usual, I respect your experience, and contributions you've made to the Alfa community. You may not remember, but we have had conversations in the past about misc Alfa parts. But in this instance, larry, I have done extensive research and mocking up of this endeavor, Just to try to reveal any shortcomings that I might experience before I give this project an OK. Believe me, I truly enjoy all the questions, opinions, and even questionable input into this conversion.
Now, to the reply to your post; the widest dimension of the T-5 measured at the top of the tranny is only 8.5 inches wide (suprising huh?) the spider's bottom measurement of the trans tunnel is 10+ inches, then mildly curves in toward the top of the tunnel.
MORE than enough room. Even if it were close - there always the technique of putting a hammer in the right place, before even considering cutting. Below I have posted a pic showing the top of the T-5 at it's widest point.

flybird -T

Attachments

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Alfajay:
Very good questions, and I have good answers; the T-5 was originall built by Borg-Warner, later sold to Tremec. BW was original supplier to many different car manufacturers (some are Ford, GM, Nissan,) so availablity is extremely good.
What gearbox is in the BMW 2002?. My father had a 2002 Tii and notchy change compared to an Alfa ... I thought it was a BW something.

Anyway I'm keeping out of this thread. Too many people cannot accept old vintage cars as old vintage cars and for some weird reason want to make them as boring and easy to drive as modern [email protected] ... :confused: ... have fun.
Pete

·
Registered
134 Posts
I must say that Ken’s rear housing for the T-5 looks impressive (it almost looks like it would be the same length as the original Alfa gearbox, making it bolt right up to the standard engine and (maybe) prop shaft.

Judging by the photos of the T-5 on the Alfa bellhousing, I have to agree with Larry’s suspicions on the box’s overall height. Just for interest, I’ve included some photos of the Alfa gearbox compared to the Getrag 265, including the critical front-on shot which compares the height of each box using the input shaft as the standard reference point.

While they look nearly the same, by the time we made up a bellhousing for the Getrag and installed it, it struck the top of the Spider’s trans tunnel, and still had to go up another ¾ inch to locate the shaft in the stock, aligned position. By the time we cut two slots either side of the tunnel to square it off, then make up two patch panels and weld up four lines, we figured it would be less welding to simply cut and weld a new piece of sheetmetal to the top of the trans tunnel.

While the Getrag and tunnel mods will still allow us to install the heater box, console and side panels, there is really not much room to play around with – while the heater box sits in the location right above the bellhousing with around 20-25mm clearance from the standard trans tunnell (hint – don’t try and mess with the tunnel immediately above where the bellhousing would fit), you really can’t afford to raise the trans tunnel much more than an inch higher above where the gearbox would mount, or else getting the heater box in and out may prove either impossible, or very very difficult.

Anyway, it’s just my opinion – I guess that seeing as how Ken has fitted the T-5 to the Spider, he would really know the true answer as t how it fits the trans tunnel!

Good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
ECARRILLO,
just read your post. I'm glad to hear you're interested in this project. Your interest and enthusiam is what this sport is all about!! Right now it seems like the height of the T-5,
and its' fit into the spider trans tunnel is being determined. I will personally be tearing down the trans area to visualize and measure if there will be any interference with the heater box and stock console. If you have any input from your experiences with the spider in this area, please add to the ongoing posts.

flybird-T

·
Registered
137 Posts
WHY? Have you planted a new idea in my head. It isn't like turbo charging and doing all the work to install the turbo, intercooler, oil cooler Accel injectors and megasquirt system wasn't enough to almost cause a divorce now you have me staring oddly at the T5 that is under my bench and wondering whether to go for it or not. Bad man....:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Caroni,
What a coincidence!! I too went to turbo (from scratch), intercooler, megasquirt, but used Ford injectors(24#), and had many discussions with my better half also. So I guess the natural progression would be the T-5 conversion, huh?
flybird-T

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'll see if I can get the current project together and then if I have a chance to enjoy it through what remains of the good weather I may seriously consider the T5 conversion over the winter.

I'd love to talk to you sometime about how you did your turbo. Exh manifold; intake; injectors; getting the megasquirt running. Lots of good experience to share. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hi Caroni,
You got an affirmative here! I'll be gone for about two weeks, but anytime after that feel free to call. (e-mail anytime)
flyburd-T

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well?

Are you back yet? have you figure out the details? Inquiring minds want to know. Still looking forward to emailing you about your turbo conversion and megasquirt sometime after the fourth of July weekend. I'll be in Sacramento that week end but doubt we'll travel to the bay area.

David

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes, I'm back. Still trying to find time to do the body to transmission dimensions. I got distracted by a Cadillac SLS engine replacement, including installing timeserts and new gaskets all around. (very involving project) But, as I mentioned before, always have time for e-mail about Alfas!
flybird-T

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
give me a call..916.412.9052..i am looking into doing this..i am very tired of stuffing alfa 5 speeds into my spider...this will work for me...another alfa grearbox failed...changed the oil every year...and yet...failed gearbox.

21 - 40 of 136 Posts