Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Price was right-

Condition was also what you'd want. About twice what a GTA is worth and about half what you'd pay for a TZ these days. They look great and are fun to drive and cars with known history are always sold at a premium. Easy to "re-create" as has been discussed on here before. Fred.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
It's a REAL car with IMPORTANT history....and it was OVER $250,000 according to Bill Noon, one of the owners of Symbolic, who is a friend of mine....
Price was right-
... and cars with known history are always sold at a premium. ...
I agree. This is one rare car, and its price will always be out of the ordinary...

Best regards,

·
Registered
561 Posts
I heard about it at Monterey and I believe it sold before it hit their web site. There is a long line of buyers and essentially no sellers. Ah well . . .

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Sniady had written: "looks to be in rough shape to sell for 250k"

Sniady, not that I'm challenging you, but what did you see that you felt was rough? I just saw the pictures on the Symbolic site, and nothing jumped out at me - the paint looked shiny, no apparent dents, interior looked good, ... Of course, I'm more familiar with evaluating cars that sell for $250 in the AutoTrader than $250,000 from Symbolic, so what do I know.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sniady had written: ..... what did you see that you felt was rough? .
I'd say rough as well. Close ups like the door handle show very rough paint and pitted chrome, missing original Zagato "Z" on body, the headlight trim rings are not correct, the wheels are not correct, missing jack hole covers, extra gauges and holes in dash, front and rear inside window trim should be body color, vinyl interior largely missing (!), headliner coming loose, seat cushions should have skirt over tube frame, rubber door trim cracking, chrome trim on gauges pitted, engine bay is a mess and missing air filter canister + intake plenum, various incorrect plumbing matters, hose clamps, etc., missing cover over gas level sender in trunk, rubber trim there in tatters, etc.

That said if I had the funds at the time I would have bought it in a second! Further I might just keep it and use it as is, and just enjoy the patina. Great looking car. Cheers, George

·
Registered
923 Posts
Hi!

This is a wonderful vintage car with a nice patina. We are used to see those over-restorations "better tan new" that usually spoils the soul and wipes the history off the car.

Sometimes is nice to see one car like this, even more in a racing car. Each ding is like a tatoo... just shows its history.

Best regarsd,
Alvaro

·
Registered
418 Posts
Funny to see a picture focussing on the Alfa Romeo badge... Which was a post-'73 one without the "Milano" script :rolleyes:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I saw what could have been this car on PCH in Huntington Beach one Saturday or Sunday about 4 months ago at about 7am. Rough repaint (or not color sanded yet), with no headlights, no license plates or emblems. Japanese guy behind the wheel. If not this car, there is another in the area of Huntington.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Omar's yellow SZ?

I hope this isn;t too off topic, but didn't Omar over at Italspeed have a yellow SZ with a significant amount of front end damage. Accident in Argentina with some form of livestock comes to mind?

How many SZ's in California, anyway?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I hope this isn;t too off topic, but didn't Omar over at Italspeed have a yellow SZ with a significant amount of front end damage. Accident in Argentina with some form of livestock comes to mind?

I know two guys down south with red ones (not counting the Symbolic car) plus I believe the blue x- Leto di Priolo car is there. I do not know what has come of the Pig Killer although the on the coast highway could have been out looking for more pork. Cheers, George

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The Italspeed SZ is still around. The nose has been fixed and complete restoration will begin in early 2008. It's hard to really say how many are out there. Last month I was driving on PCH in Malibu and got passed by an SZ2...total surprise to me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, the yellow SZ still sleeps at italspeed. The body work has been finally completed. Next, its time to refresh the original engine... for the record, it took out what must have been an enormous pig at some incredible, cocaine induced speed, somewhere south of Caracas in the seventys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sz

Hi, guys. First post here but long-time Alfaholic. Was real active in Michigan back in the "70's but have been out of Alfas since. I actually owned an SZ for a short time back then, but sold it in pieces/parts to a fellow named Joe Benson. As I remember, it finally did get put together by a fellow out in CA, who sent me some pictures. Looooong shot, but would anyone know where the car is now? If I dig some, I might find some paperwork - at least copies -which I'd guess the present owner would like to have.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts