Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i have several people, some mechanics, tell me that NAPA branded syn oil is as good( one said, it is rebranded mobil1) as any other on the market...any experience here. i have been using 10/30, but i am not even sure that is what i should be using....

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Just make sure that whatever lubricant you use specifically states that it has added "ZDDP" additives. Just asyin'.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
It's rebranded something. Who knows who they contract with at any given moment. I was told a year ago that the Napa regular oils were Valvoline.

I personally use diesel Rotella T5 in all of my older cars. It's got the things the old engines need and it's usually on sale somewhere.

Just my .002 and who doesn't like a good fall oil Jiahd!!

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just looked at the diesel Rotella T5, it is a blend? i have been using full synthetic...does it matter? also what are you guys using 10/30, 10/40?

·
Registered
158 Posts
According to the NAPA Safety Data Sheet, NAPA synthetic oils are made by Ashland which makes Valvoline so you were probably told correctly. I've never used it but most NAPA branded lubricants I've used have been pretty decent. 10w30 it seems a little light for your Alfa, though, unless you live in a cold climate. I think the factory recommendation for your '92 is 10w40.

Most Alfa owners on this board seem to prefer 20w50, 15w50, or something similar for most of the year. I recently switched from using Castrol 20w50 or Rotella 15w40 to synthetic Mobile1 15w50 because the ZDDP content of the first two oils have been reduced in the current formulations and it is available inexpensively again at Walmart in 5qt containers. Three of them get me through two oil changes.

I live in California so the heavier oil serves me well all year.

·
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my car goes under the cover, for the winter, i am in NY, and the roads are covered in salt, in the winter, so no winter driving for me...thanks for your insight, on oil weights. i am due to change oil, i do it before i store car...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts