Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the soft top from my parts car today and hope to remove the soft top from my good car tomorrow and replace it with the one from my parts car. The parts car had a fairly new tan soft top and the frame seems in perfect condition as does the soft top. My series 4 spider automatic has the original black soft top and the lining has completely fallen apart. The top frame on the automatic car has one broken brace so I figured it would just be simpler to remove the top and frame from my parts car and use it to replace the original on my automatic. So far things are going smoothly. I'm taking photos just to make sure I don't forget something. Will keep you posted as I move along.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
Hi Alfateen,

You're doing what I have put off for several years. I have an almost new top & frame hanging in my garage, waiting to be exchanged for the old top & frame on my '91 Spider. I am looking forward to hearing about your progress. Pictures would be great, along with identifying any problems you solved.

I removed the soft top from my parts car today and hope to remove the soft top from my good car tomorrow and replace it with the one from my parts car. The parts car had a fairly new tan soft top and the frame seems in perfect condition as does the soft top. My series 4 spider automatic has the original black soft top and the lining has completely fallen apart. The top frame on the automatic car has one broken brace so I figured it would just be simpler to remove the top and frame from my parts car and use it to replace the original on my automatic. So far things are going smoothly. I'm taking photos just to make sure I don't forget something. Will keep you posted as I move along.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
George, removing the soft top and frame together as one unit turned out to be quite simple. Reinstalling onto my 91 automatic I don't know yet, but I hope it is as simple as taking it off was. I have a lot of photos but I need to download them and sort them. I'll take photos of the installation as well. I just hope the weather holds up for all this. It has been pretty chilly here in the mornings and then it warms up in the afternoons. You guesed it , I do my work in the afternoons. BTW, Happy Holidays.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i ONLY swap tops using complete frames. with the frame attached, i can swap a top in about two hours.

i have two spiders, and so have 3 frames. one is always looking for that swap to make.

possibly might even buy a new top and have it attached to a frame by itself, and then pick it up and install it at home.

removing the top with the frame doesnt even need instructions. its self-explainatory.

be gentle with the rear studs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Switching soft tops and some interior panels

I have finished switching the soft top and interior panels from my parts car to my white Spider Automatic. Here are some photos of the car.

PC260043.1.jpg

PC260044.1.jpg

PC260046.1.jpg

PC260047.1.jpg

PC260037.1.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Switching soft tops and some interior panels

Here are some additional pictures. I still need to switch the mirrors back to the original power mirrors, but the ones from my parts car are red so I need to get them painted before I can install them.

PC260042.2.jpg

PC260041.1.jpg

PC260040.1.jpg

PC260039.1.jpg

PC260038.1.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts