Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed my sway bar yesterday in order to replace the end links and center bushings. I discovered that inboard of and immediately adjacent to each center bushing there was a strip of thin rubber wrapped around the sway bar and held in place by a hose clamp.

The rubber strips were crudely cut and the hose clamps did not match, so I'm assuming that they are not factory items.

Anyone have any ideas about why they were there? Do I need to replace them?

I also found these gouges on the passenger side of the sway bar outboard of the center bushings. Anyone know what would cause these? Is this something I should be concerned about?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Gouges caused by A/C pulley.. due to sagging motor mounts.

The clamps are there to keep the bar from moving side to side. I think they go to the inside. on each side.

·
Super Moderator
11,691 Posts
I removed my sway bar yesterday in order to replace the end links and center bushings. I discovered that inboard of and immediately adjacent to each center bushing there was a strip of thin rubber wrapped around the sway bar and held in place by a hose clamp. The rubber strips were crudely cut and the hose clamps did not match, so I'm assuming that they are not factory items.
Yes, the factory used matching hose clamps. :D

OK, I'm kidding. There should be oval-shaped rubber pieces in there. The only picture I could readily find is the one below from IAP, which shows a poly bushing. The stock part looks the same, but is made from black rubber - don't know who carries them.

Anyone have any ideas about why they were there? Do I need to replace them?
Either a PO didn't have the correct part, or found it was too difficult to reinstall the metal bars over the correct parts. It is kind of a bear to get the stock parts to all fit.

I also found these gouges on the passenger side of the sway bar outboard of the center bushings. Anyone know what would cause these? Is this something I should be concerned about?
I can't quite picture where those gouges are located. Are they somewhere where the swaybar could have acted as a bumper when the car passed over a curb or parking stop? I wouldn't worry about it - the gouge may propagate a crack that could fracture the sway bar. But I'd deal with it if and when a failure happens - your life doesn't depend on your sway bars unless you always drive at 10 10ths.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gouges caused by A/C pulley.. due to sagging motor mounts.
I'm with Stan on the gouges being made by the AC pulley.
Sounds right. I replaced the mounts last year so that problem has been addressed. I didn't consider the pulley since it is now sitting nice and high.

There should be oval-shaped rubber pieces in there.
Right. I have new center bushing from IAP.

The clamps are there to keep the bar from moving side to side. I think they go to the inside. on each side.
Were these hose clamps a "owner installed" attempt to "fix" the problem of bad bushings? They were in really bad shape. Probably the originals. Is there a problem with the bar moving if the center bushings are in good shape?

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
This is an interesting question for me.... my REAR sway bar had two rubber-lined hose clamps, each mounted on the inboard side of the swaybar center bushings. Mine matched, but didn't have quite the Italian elegance I've come to expect to find under the dirt and grease, so I'd decided that they must not be factory standard stuff. However that did leave the question as to whether they were replacing some more classy missing originals.

FWIW, my front swaybar didn't have such beasties....

Looks like both our PO's had the same idea for a quick fix at the opposite ends of the car.

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Same for me - matching clamps in the rear (and you can see why they need them) and none in the front.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
didn't have quite the Italian elegance I've come to expect
Yes. I thought that one of the ten rules of Italian cars was that the less important and inaccessible a part, the more elegant it's design and construction.

Since the clamps may be functional, I will install new ones that match each other. And I will check to see if the rear bar has them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Center Bushing Clamps

The clamps for the front sway bar center bushings have been badly knocked out of shape.

I didn't see these at any of the usual part sources. Are new one available or do I need to get my acetylene torch out and use my blacksmith skills?

Sway bar clamps 003.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
You can have these for $10

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Back on All Four

Thanks to alfaparticle having clamps, my Spider is back on the ground.

No real issues with remounting the sway bar. An extra pair of hands would have helped but I was able to use a pair of jack stands to hold the bar roughly in place until I could get the bolts started.

I was not able to find any of the greases listed in the manual for the center bushings, so I used some silicon dielectric grease. Worked fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts