Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
what do you guys do about the exhaust exit? i dont really wanna go get a new rear end made to suit the centre exit, so do the bottoms of the twinspark bumpers remove like the 3lt?

i wanna save some weight...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have been deliberating the same dilemma. I am going with TS/Euro bumpers as well, and I prefer the exit-right exhaust layout rather than the exit-centre. TS bumpers are one-piece, unlike the America ones.

My plan is to modify the TS bumper for a right-side exit hole. I have 2 TS bumpers and the original V6 America bumper to play with. My options are DIY, where I would cut the exit 'hole' from the America bumper (or spare TS bumper), and graft it into the TS bumper, using fibreglass to hold it in position, and bog/fill any defects; then graft a blank section to replace the centre hole. I am confident I can create a flawless finish, except fibreglass/bog is of course prone to shrinkage, so the cut-lines may show through after a few months.

Alternatively, I will have it professionally done, using plastic-welding instead of fibreglass.

Either way, I will convert the TS bumper for an exit-right exhaust tip.

So far, I've started the conversion for the front bumper. Removing the box sections from the chassis that hold the America bumper is a PITA. I used a reciprocating saw, but angle-of-approach is difficult, and I did not avoid hacking the chassis a bit.

:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i never knew there was modding involved for the swap! puts me off a bit

iv got a plastic welder friend, so i was thinking or modding the bar exit, but if i did that, id prolly use 2 exits either side...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 exits, one either side that is.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how about a report for spamming? i mean, youve made 46 posts in 1hour 4 minutes, and non of them are contributing to any of the threads...

·
Registered
279 Posts
i never knew there was modding involved for the swap! puts me off a bit
It's a bit of work, and somewhat irreversible, but I consider it well worth the effort (for both weight-savings and cosmetics).

These are the box sections welded to the chassis for the 'America' front bumpers. The right side also holds the fuel vapour cannister, which will require remounting directly to the chassis:

I've used a reciprocating saw to cut them off (though I started doing it by hand with a hacksaw blade, then decided I needed a new power tool!):

With the box sections removed, pre-existing factory holes and nuts exist to secure the TS bumper brackets:

I'm at the stage of patching the holes, painting with primer, then finishing with black sound deadening paint. And I haven't checked out the rear bumper yet, but expect it to be similar.

:)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the pics!! that doesnt look too bad, compared to what i had in mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts