Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
.... the rear springs I put in were only 13 inches but larger diameter material..... it did what they said though, the door sill is now level...
Wow, 5" shorter and no shims.

Did you take any before and after height measurements?

Vin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I should have but I didnt... the difference is dramatic though. It was an inch lowering kit. I have some pictures that you can kinda tell. It did totally transform the handling of the car....

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Would love to see those pictures.

Vin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I will take a side view of now, I dont have any 90 degree side views of before but I have some where you can tell the difference. I will post some in the morning....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Euro spider S2
Springs have been replaced last summer by my capable Alfa mechanic.
Unloaded the new springs were shorter as the old ones (as for as I know OEM and)I had ordered standard springs.
Installed they didn't show any visible difference in height.
So they must have been stiffer/thicker.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks for that info, Eduard. I'm sure mine are a stiffer spring rate too. I also am coming to the conclusion that the rear suspension for the US models have been tampered with to meet DOT bumper height requirements.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Here are a few pics from before and after the suspension upgrade. The visual change is pretty dramatic as well as the handling characteristics. One of their "checks" to see if the car is sitting correctly is NOT to make wheel well comparisons but to check whether the door sill is level. After you do that you start to understand that Pinin designed it this way...… I tried to get the same shot on the before and after but it sure aint exact!

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
9,200 Posts
I’m curious about the rear bar delete.

I’m in the process on overhauling the suspension on a 77 S2, and already have a set of Einachs and red Konis. My past experience, going back to the early 70s and Addco bars, was that a rear bar reduced understeer. This was a good thing for snappier handling. So, what is the real-world experience of deleting the rear bar when installing Spirtier springs? Or, do people do it just because someone told them to?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I can only tell you from the short time I have made this mod but the car tracks much better. Before, during high G cornering, the rear end would snap loose making yours pucker and surely get your attention. Now, although I haven't pushed the issue yet, the car goes where you point it and everything follows. It feels very sure and stable. Is that the bar delete, the new springs, lower CG? I dunno but it sure feels good....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Now THAT's the way a spider is supposed to sit! I am not sure if all North American spiders' suspension were tampered with but all the stock ones I have seen in the US are way too high in the rear...

21 - 31 of 31 Posts