Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing the Alfaholics Fast Road suspension rebuild kit, Stage1.
Fairly straightforward but would be much easier without the engine and exhaust system installed.
I always wondered why my car sat high in the back unlike the pics you see with them appearing like the *** sits low ( but is doesnt, just design). Well when I was installing the back springs I found a 2-3 inch spacer in the top spring seat... no wonder! I ordered the kit an inch lower so she really sits down now. Cant wait to hit the twisties and see how it feels! Always had considerable oversteer before that could get your attention....

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Hopefully I have some "before" side view pics....

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
They seem to handle better with the rear a little lower. The forward biassed weight distribution and solid axle encourage oversteer. I run with no rear sway bar and tires at 32 psi front/28 rear. The transaxle cars handle much better with improved weight distribution and the De Dion rear end.

I recently read about the racing Jaguars of the 50's. The works C and D types had solid axles and they were successful on long fast circuits like LeMans but they were not competitive with Lister Jags (with DeDion axles) on shorter tracks where cornering was most important.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too, removed the rear sway bar and installed a larger front sway with upgraded drop links. Adjustable caster arm too.

·
Premium Member
13,510 Posts
I had a 27mm front bar on for many years but I took it off and it is now on one of Richard Jemison's race cars. It was fine on smooth roads but not on the bumpy ones that I like to drive on. When I took it off I was first a little unnerved by the extra body roll at the front because I was not used to it but it handles just as well and better on bumpy twisties.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was looking into the hydraulic shock set $250 for my S4. I have some bumpy roads around. If that don't cure then maybe i try the sway bars, but i also have a hard top, (high center gravity), so maybe the swaybars are safer vs delete.

I'm going for supple ride.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a set of hydraulic shocks designed for the Alfa spider with less than 1000 miles on them. I sure like the ride but when I did the spring upgrade I needed new Koni yellows. PM me if you are interested. I am putting a bunch of stuff on the For Sale thread soon.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Well when I was installing the back springs I found a 2-3 inch spacer in the top spring seat... no wonder!
Can you post pictures of these spacers?

I have never heard of such big spacers and curious to see if they are OEM or the PO installed them for some reason.

Thanks,

Vin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are certainly not OE. They may not appear that they would raise the car that far but they did. The new springs I installed lowered it 1 inch from factory but the difference was very dramatic, at least 2 inches... I guess some think the car looks funny as designed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
They are certainly not OE. They may not appear that they would raise the car that far but they did. The new springs I installed lowered it 1 inch from factory but the difference was very dramatic, at least 2 inches... I guess some think the car looks funny as designed.
Thanks for the picture.

Pretty sure those are OE.

I am going through a spring replacement on the rears right now. The new ones I ordered from Classic are an 1 1/4" shorter.

While digging into it, I found that some cars have a flat shim, like mine below, and some had your thicker shim. That shim you have came in a few thicknesses. Yours looks like 12mm or so. You can measure the thickness when you see mine. Shim is on the right.

IMG_4690.JPG

I can't figure out why ALFA changed the thickness of those shims. I believe it had to do with bumper height regulations here in North America.

I think you will need something up there so the spring doesn't dig into the rubber spacer shown on the left.

Thanks,

Vin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The rubber goes on top, the steel ring goes between the rubber and the spring. You can tell if your car is sitting as designed, put a level on the door sill. Should read level....

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Yes, did you replace your shim with another ?

I thought you said you removed it.

Vin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just the steel ring. You may be right about the thicker shim to meet US regulations..... screws with the balance of the suspension though... leave it to our government.

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Can you measure the height of the springs you removed from the rear?

I am curious if they are the same as the new ones I have from Classic Alfa.

Thank you

Vin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
18", 12 windings. I didn't measure diameter of material but can if you like.. .( it was dark and cold this morning)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I'm curious Vin, were the springs the same or if not, how were they different?

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Well, I'm curious Vin, were the springs the same or if not, how were they different?
Sorry for the delay. I have been spending all my time calculating front bearing, shipping and exchange costs. ;)

The original springs (I have no reason not to believe the aren't original) are 18 7/8" tall and the new Classic springs are 17 5/8".

I have not installed the new ones yet as I am working on my differential. Its all done, just need to seal the axle tubes to the differential and re install.

Once I do, I will post the results.

I am not looking to lower my car, just wanted new springs all around.

Thanks,

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Here is a picture of the new on the left to the original on the right.

IMG_4674.JPG

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well mine were kinda in the middle then. I was wondering too if they were originals, having the spacers and all.... the rear springs I put in were only 13 inches but larger diameter material..... it did what they said though, the door sill is now level...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts